Need advice regarding appying for jobs

I apologize in advance for the vagueness but I don’t want to reveal details that are too personal and could be traced back to me. Ok so here’s my story in a nutshell: I worked for a few years, had some time off due to circumstances outside of my control, and just started a new job within the last 4-8 weeks. This last job search was partically long and frustrating but, I think, a lot of that had to do with my approach which I fixed and ultimately led me to my current position. Right now, what I do is ok but it isn’t want I ultimately want to do. I accepted the offer because 1) it was related, sort of, to do what I want to do 2) I needed the money and 3) the people were great. What I ultimately want to do is done at my firm but I’m not sure how I move over there or if anyone has previously made that transition. I certainly don’t want to get stuck in my role for the next 5 - 6 years. Another job opening has been posted at a different firm in my city. Its day to day details are EXACTLY the sort of things I want to do and the salary is bump up from what I make. I think I’m a great fit based on my background and my previous work experience is very much geared towards a job like this. So this raises two questions in my mind: 1) How do I explain why I want to leave my current job so soon after starting? To be honest, my current gig is pretty good, the people are pretty good, and I wouldn’t be looking to leave but for an opportunity like this. I also think that, in general, employers are looking to ding applicants in this current climate for ANYTHING that seems out of the ordinary and this may do me in. Is there even a “right” answer for this question? 2) What if my current firm finds out? I think the possibility of this is small but the investment industry is also small and considering both firms are in the same city it is a possibility. Any input, thoughts, etc. is much appreciated!

You write that your job search was particularly long and frustrating and that you’ve now found 2) a place with a decent pay and 3) great people. You also write about the job offer being “posted” (an ad?) and not that you were contacted by a headhunter. You also write “…this may do me in”. Lots of people have a “good fit”, ultimately it seems people hire someone they already know beforehand (at least to positions like the one I suspect you’re looking for). You might want to think twice before risking your current job. Instead you could start by finding out more about ways to make the internal transition. I assume you’re in some sort of backoffice or risk role now, right?

MehdiOchre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You write that your job search was particularly > long and frustrating and that you’ve now found 2) > a place with a decent pay and 3) great people. You > also write about the job offer being “posted” (an > ad?) and not that you were contacted by a > headhunter. You also write “…this may do me in”. > Lots of people have a “good fit”, ultimately it > seems people hire someone they already know > beforehand (at least to positions like the one I > suspect you’re looking for). You might want to > think twice before risking your current job. > Instead you could start by finding out more about > ways to make the internal transition. I assume > you’re in some sort of backoffice or risk role > now, right? Thanks for the reply MehdiOchre. You’re right. What I’m doing now fits into a backoffice or risk sort of role. So I guess now my question is how do I transition. The way I see it, I need to get in good with the particular department I want to move to but I’m not sure how to even begin to do that. We don’t have a lot of interaction with them.

It’s pretty difficult to move internally, though I’ve done it in the past. I don’t know the rules at your firm, but at most places, you have to have one year of experience before you can make an internal transfer. And, you will also probably have to have a really good performance rating so even though it’s not what you ultimately want, try to do the best possible job you can while you are there. As you are thinking, the best way is to get to know people in that group and have someone pull you in from the inside, rather than you trying to push. What I’ve tried doing - attend local seminars, in my field that means quantitative finance, and I have actually met people there who were pretty senior in the group that I wanted to join. It didn’t work out for me, but doesn’t mean it won’t for you. I also found a guy on linkedin who coincidentally is a CFA, and I cold-emailed him asking for a recommendation to the CFA Institute who had a very similar background to mine, and we ended up having lunch … nothing came of that but you never know. Also, I was once successful moving internally due to someone from the group I wanted to join calling me by mistake about a palladium hedge. I called them back to explain that they called me by accident, but that I was very interested in their group… one thing led to another and the next thing I knew, I had the job. You can’t count on that of course. but what you CAN do is start finding out about the group you want to join, and see if you know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone there … you will eventually stumble across someone who can introduce you. Good luck!

DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s pretty difficult to move internally, though > I’ve done it in the past. I don’t know the rules > at your firm, but at most places, you have to have > one year of experience before you can make an > internal transfer. And, you will also probably > have to have a really good performance rating so > even though it’s not what you ultimately want, try > to do the best possible job you can while you are > there. > > As you are thinking, the best way is to get to > know people in that group and have someone pull > you in from the inside, rather than you trying to > push. What I’ve tried doing - attend local > seminars, in my field that means quantitative > finance, and I have actually met people there who > were pretty senior in the group that I wanted to > join. It didn’t work out for me, but doesn’t mean > it won’t for you. I also found a guy on linkedin > who coincidentally is a CFA, and I cold-emailed > him asking for a recommendation to the CFA > Institute who had a very similar background to > mine, and we ended up having lunch … nothing > came of that but you never know. Also, I was > once successful moving internally due to someone > from the group I wanted to join calling me by > mistake about a palladium hedge. I called them > back to explain that they called me by accident, > but that I was very interested in their group… > one thing led to another and the next thing I > knew, I had the job. You can’t count on that of > course. but what you CAN do is start finding out > about the group you want to join, and see if you > know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone > there … you will eventually stumble across > someone who can introduce you. Good luck! The good jobs have fierce competition - I like this advice though, and it’s probably your only and/or best shot at one of ‘the good ones’ (it’s what I’ve tried to do in my current role, which is not what I want to do long-term but has given me some great networking opportunities). You need to do everything you can to meet everyone you can in the division you want to be in. From there - treat any lunches/meetings like a first date with a dime and make sure you’re on point, personable, and demonstrate your value, motivation, and interest to position yourself for a career within their department/bu/etc when one become available.