Need career advice

Hello, I passed CFA Level 2, two years ago. Since then, I have been a professional online poker player and have not gone further with the CFA program. I’ve realized that I’ll never be a great poker player, just a decent one. I’m tired of the bankroll swings from being a professional gambler, and want to go into equity research. Should I just try and get any job in the industry, even though the job may suck, or should I be a little selective? How hard will it be for me to find an entry level position since I was self-employed for 2 years as a pro gambler? Does the fact that I passed the CFA Level 2 give me some clout in my job search even though I don’t have any work experience? thanks in advance.

I have to imagine that this is going to be a tough transition for you… and why ER? From your gambling background, I would have thought a trading role would be more suited.

Two of my friends are traders and we play poker often. I think those guys would love you…

must be a tough transition to get back into the traditional workforce. Why don’t you leverage your passion for poker. A buddy of mine who is an avid poker player graduated from b-school and rather than take the wall street route, he took a very high strategic position in a company that specializes in poker.

I think you really have to know the right person and have them be willing to give you a shot in spite of your non-traditional background. Importantly, what you’ll have to explain in your interviews is what you learned from your experience as a poker player and why you have decided to change courses in your life, what you’ve learned to do and what NOT to do from poker, and demonstrate your commitment to finance. Research is pretty different from what you’re doing in terms of work content as well as attitude/risk aversion, so that’s something you should really think about. I mean, at least those are the things that I would be asking you if you were interviewing with me.

I like the stock market and finance. As sick as it seems, I actually enjoyed studying and taking the CFA exams. Trading might be a good job for me. I want to do something that helps the world, I sometimes feel like poker doesn’t help society at all. Not sure if trading really helps society much either. In equity research you get to pick the best companies that benefit the world the most. I’d like to be a part of a positive organization that chooses good businesses to invest in.

Look into the IFC.

How much did you make on average every month from Poker? I played a lot poker online when I was in University. I won a couple of tourney, but played mostly on 10 dollar sit’n’go trying to make constant profit. After a while, poker becomes extremely boring and tiresome (I also felt online poker is rigged, the probability is not realistic at all). At that time, I spent significant less time studying. Then I realized a few hundred dollar per month is not worth my time and never played it since. ^^

I make about $10k a month from online poker. It’s not rigged, and at times it’s boring, but it’s like I’m obsessed to get good at it. The challenge of playing well really tests your patience and reading ability. I think poker has taught me to be more empathetic of others. I’ll probably never be able to make more than $10k per month at it, and I’d like a real job. Mcthorp, the IFC sounds interesting, but what I really mean about helping the world is just a regular finance job. I’m not gonna go so far as to join Amnesty International or anything.

“Hello, I passed CFA Level 2, two years ago. Since then, I have been a professional online poker player and have not gone further with the CFA program. I’ve realized that I’ll never be a great poker player, just a decent one. I’m tired of the bankroll swings from being a professional gambler, and want to go into equity research. Should I just try and get any job in the industry, even though the job may suck, or should I be a little selective? How hard will it be for me to find an entry level position since I was self-employed for 2 years as a pro gambler? Does the fact that I passed the CFA Level 2 give me some clout in my job search even though I don’t have any work experience? thanks in advance.” Going to California, Led Zepplin. That’s it right there. Willy

wow that is a lot money. If you can rake in 10k a month, I have some respect for your skill and patient. I am just wondering what type of games do you usually play, which poker site do you play on?

Wow, 10k a month, and you don’t even think you’re more than “decent” at it. There are plenty of junior investment banker types that pull in about that on base salary, and they don’t get any time to sleep or have a life. If you think you can get even better, then this might be a career for you after all.

Wow, 10k a month, and you don’t even think you’re more than “decent” at it. There are plenty of junior investment banker types that pull in about that on base salary, and they don’t get any time to sleep or have a life. If you think you can get even better, then this might be a career for you after all.

man when I first read ur post I thought you were kidding. ur not!

Nope, I’m not kidding, I’m kind of in a tough situation. bchadwick - What career are you referring to? I want a more fulfilling job than just playing a card game all day, and I really like finance. DonYuan - I play on all kinds of sites, mostly play $2/$4 no limit holdem, but I dabble in other games as well. The money is nice, but I don’t really feel like I’m advancing or contributing to society.

If you want to contribute to society, keep winning money. Then donate a portion to charity. Or you can do some volunteer work when you are not playing poker. The problem solved?

Hehe, not quite problem solved Don. Poker doesn’t give me the security like a job would. Poker punishes you for impulsive decisions. I just don’t feel like I have what it takes to have a satisfying poker career. However, I feel that I’m an intelligent enough guy to have a successful and satisfying career in investment analysis.

Gefvert - Any poker book recommendations/tips? I just sat for level 1 and currently applying for my fist job. But i’ve been sucked into the nightly poker games and it is gradually taking my focus away from getting a job…

hplee - Phil Gordon’s Little Green Book is a classic. You mostly just need to play a lot and get better each time you play. Pay attention to the other players, look at how they play, see what their bets mean. See if they ever bluff, etc. Eventually, you’ll get to the point where you have a really good idea of what players’ hole cards are, and that’s when you’ll have a big advantage over them.

isn’t online poker illegal now?