Need fashion help

^ Athought I never served in the military, I am always conscious of my gig line.

Brown Shoes! Never Brown in Town. haha jk.

GreenMan, just keep it simple. Navy Blazer. Long Sleeve Shirts. No khakis. Only overweight NFL coaches wear khakis now.

^Jim Harbaugh?

Oh yeah, tie them the same way and proper length. and don’t buy those shitty skinny ties. Shoe shined too. To be fair I thought that was just common sense though.

Yeah I don’t think you want to model yourself after the guy who has slumber parties at teenager’s houses.

Teenaged kickers no less.

short ties bother me more than they should. I had a boss who used to wear his tie like an extra from the Inbetweeners. It seemed like the bigger the meeting, the shorter and lamer his tie.

skinny ties have no place in the workplace. same with collars that button down, shirts with chest pockets and brown shoes.

Your British is showing.

Some good tips in this thread. Greenman, you sound like you have awful fashion.

Navy sportscoat first.

Then navy suit (NOT BLACK)

Black shoes and black belt.

I have been named the best dressed person on my floor at work multiple times.

Curious what your beef with brown shoes is, and what is the typical dress at your workplace?

I don’t know if it’s awful or just simple.

95% of the time, I’m in pleated Dockers and a polo shirt. (Dockers may be khaki, navy, or “stone” colored.) Brown belt and brown shoes. (Well, more “cordoran” than brown.)

I guess I’m old school, but brown shoes should only be worn with earth tone pants/suits. Although earth tone suits have become more acceptable as business attire in the last 20 year or so, if he’s only going to have one or two suits, an earth tone one should not be one of them.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting a suit and then just using the coat. I will occasionally do it, though it works best with a navy blue or charcoal colored suit. Brown is also possible in certain circumstances, but if if you have only one suit, brown is probably not your first choice of colors.

That said, it does sound like a sportscoat would suit you and your needs better, otherwise you would probably already have a suit and use it now and then.

The main reason I don’t wear my suit jacket with other trousers is just that I don’t want my jacket wearing out faster than the pants do. Someone else mentioned that jackets will last longer than trousers, which is why I’ll sometimes do it.

When I do this, I’ll usually pair a navy blue jacket with jeans. I’ll occasionally do it with khakis, but I personally dislike khakis because I associate the polo-shirt and khaki look with the conservative golfing set, or the IT support uniform, both of which to me is unimaginative and overly conformist to my taste (I think the hipster look is more artsy and non-conformist, but gets too ridiculous in the other direction).

As for shoes, I happen to like burgundy shoes. They go with pretty much everything except black, but the color is richer and more interesting than your typical brown (which also go with everything except black).

^ Isn’t any “look” conformist by definition?

GREENMAN!!! Pleated pants! Are you serious?

Christ man, buy some flat fronts immediately before you go buy a navy jacket.

Always good for some satisfying mental fapping in the late morning, I see.

Yes, you could say that a look is conformist with respect to others that use that look. That’s why showing up to a buy-side interview in leather chaps, straps, and a g-string is a low-risk kind of thing. The interviewers will know that you are a conformist and would reflect stability, predictability, and traditional values on the firm.

What’s wrong with brown shoes with grey/blue pants?

^there is nothing wrong with brown shoes but there is just an old saying “never brown in town”. Black shoes are more formal and professional but times are a changing.

Absolutely nothing. In fact, brown shoes with suits is now extremely common. They should be good brown shoes, no Cole Haan crap. But, I see them all over the place at industry events.

The hipster look is a conformist look.