Need some advice whether to continue with L2 now

Hi guys, I just passed the June LI exam and I need some advice whether to register and do the CFA L2 exam next year. In fact, I am from an engineering background wishing to shift to finance and I have been offered a place for a maste of commerce (major in Finance) at the Australian school of business (University of New South Wales), beginning March 2010. I guess it would be difficult for me to do both things at the same time. Do you think I should defer my master of commerce for second semester i.e. July and do L2 in June 2010 or should I do the CFA in 2 years time after my master’s degree? Also, I would like your opinion on the Australian school of business. Do you think guys it is a good investment to go to this business school. Your advice are welcomed

Are you going to school full-time? If you have to balance work, school, and CFA, then I agree it may be a little too much. But if it’s only school & CFA, it’s definitely feasible. Most of us here work full-time and we still manage to squeeze in that extra hours for studying. Never heard of Australian School of Business. But then again, I live in the U.S so it could just be my own igorance. Good luck.

I did the MCom (Extension) with double major in International Finance and International Business at UNSW… trust me it is super easy… I don’t think it would be a problem to to do that + work + CFA if you want. you will find much of the core material is covered by level 1 of the CFA - it’s what you do with your electives that might put some strain on you… also you’ll have some dodgey ‘managing for value creation’ subjects with open book exams… more of an english comprehension test than anything else

Thanks for the reply guys. Floater, I would like to know if you did get a job easily after your master’s degree. Are you working in a big firm right now?

Michael, you should go for L2 and most probably you will clear it best you assume that your exam is in Feb ( good 6 month from now)…it will help worst if you fail…still you wont be wasting your time till then…and knowledge gained in the process will come handy whenever you apply again…also in your MS and Job search

I skipped the country after i finished my masters (gotta escape that interest-free HECS debt for a while) and I’m working as the head of research at a startup investment research company.

floater Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I skipped the country after i finished my masters > (gotta escape that interest-free HECS debt for a > while) and I’m working as the head of research at > a startup investment research company. If you don’t mind sharing, where are you based floater?

ooo that’s top secret… in europe