Need some advice

I’ll be graduating college this December with a finance degree. I’m not sure what I want to do yet but I think I want to be a research analyst and/or eventually work in a hedge fund (preferably long/short). I’ve been thinking about taking the CFA level I and/or GMAT. I really want to leave my options open in the future if things don’t work out. I want to take the CFA exam in June '10 then the GMAT exam in the fall/winter '10. How does that sound? or should I be taking the GMAT first?

you’ll have plenty of time for the GMAT in 3 months… your scores pretty much flatline after 2-3 months of hardcore studying anyways. Do both. You can always wait and do the GMAT next year. I’m assuming you’re not applying fall 2011 since you just graduated. Experience counts; keep building that first.

Do GMAT first. Don’t even start CFA unless you are absolutely sure you want to pursue a career in an area where a charter is needed. If you want to work in a hedge fund, CAIA is probably more helpful. Most importantly, land a decent job. I have a couple of friends graduating college this year who now clear trades for $27K a year.

You know, I work with several HFs and no one has ever heard of CAIA except for me (they all know the CFA program though). Has anyone actually seen a posted preference for that designation? I’m all for it if it would help but I’ve never seen any fund interested in it.

dracop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You know, I work with several HFs and no one has > ever heard of CAIA except for me (they all know > the CFA program though). > > Has anyone actually seen a posted preference for > that designation? I’m all for it if it would help > but I’ve never seen any fund interested in it. Agreed. You will learn so much more from the CFA vs the CAIA. I work for a hedge fund mgr and they prefer the CFA designation.

Interesting.

For those of you who took the GMAT, would taking it right out of college (or during last year of college) make any sense? I heard scores expire after 5 years. Shouldn’t I wait a few months/years and then take the exam?

If you can possibly pull yourself away from a few parties this fall, I would encourage you to take a shot at CFA Level 1 in December. The vast majority of the L1 curriculum should have been covered in your class work and should still be fresh in your head. You would have a pretty decent chance of passing with fairly minimal CFA-specific preparation.

Bestmiler Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ll be graduating college this December with a > finance degree. I’m not sure what I want to do yet > but I think I want to be a research analyst and/or > eventually work in a hedge fund (preferably > long/short). I’ve been thinking about taking the > CFA level I and/or GMAT. I really want to leave my > options open in the future if things don’t work > out. I want to take the CFA exam in June '10 then > the GMAT exam in the fall/winter '10. How does > that sound? or should I be taking the GMAT first? You should target Bschools good for finance. After take a job and then prepare for CFA along with job. Companies in research do sponsor CFA ( U can save money there) + u will have more chances of clearing CFA levels as you would have already covered a lot in financial curriculum of MBA.