Net Income

I keep getting confused. Net Income can also be classified as operating income right? Any other terminology I should remember?

No EBIT is the operating Income, NI includes both the operating as well as non-operating income.

i agree with krisC

NO…net income is not the same as operating income. Operating income is Revenue-COGS-SGA (or EBIT as we would call it).

Ok. Thanks

Net Income is the ‘bottom line’…

EBIT is not technically the same as operating income…EBIT comes after you adjust OI for infrequent/unusual items (asset impairments etc)

Nirjraina is correct. ALthough for simple manufacturing firms, it is the same. Now, remember that if the company is a financial firm, interest income is going to be part of operating income as well!

nirjraina Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EBIT is not technically the same as operating > income…EBIT comes after you adjust OI for > infrequent/unusual items (asset impairments etc) I would argue that EBIT should excluded any non operational income/loses, and thus, be the best estimate of operating income. If it were not, EBITDA would not be as important as it is.

for test, i think it is fine to assume that EBIT = oprtg income