Networking, how?

People in this industry have stressed over and over again how important networking is. I am a newbie, could gurus on this advise me how to network? Going to career fair, collecting name cards? Will they remember you afterwards?

First step should be changing your nickname, stupid.

LOL… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz silence…

Give LinkedIn.com a try. Start by inviting everyone you’ve worked with directly and/or former classmates.

If you live in a major city, join a squash club. Plenty of people in finance play squash.

commstudent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you live in a major city, join a squash club. > Plenty of people in finance play squash. I belong to the squash-of-the-month club. My favorite is butternut squash.

Go to all the CFA Society events.

Contacting Alumni from my University has been very helpful. My senior year and right after I graduated I went to the online directory and browsed by occupation and city. They usually had a title and company name in their profile as well. I would extract an email address, shoot them an email and say I’m a recent grade from such and such university and I am interested in learning more about this field. Most alumni have been very supportive and encouraging. Set up a phone call and ask a few intelligent questions about the business.

Stupid is not so dumb after all. This is a great question. Edmunds response is good. One of my strengths is an ability to consume large amounts of alcohol while others fall away at the bar stool. I use this strength to build relationships and commitments from other individuals at events such as CFA meetings. Bring along a few jokes as well as a diversified personality that depicts other interests as well. This makes you more interesting.

Well, I chose this nickname to lower people’s expectation of me, and then they would be surprised at my intelligence. Heh, heh…