Networking

I have been cold messaging a few BSD types on LinkedIn who all work in the tech sector. Surprisingly most have been very positive about meeting up and getting coffee, but I don’t really know what to do after that. Obviously, my goal is to turn these contacts into potential job opportunities but their job titles are very different (Ranging from the head of sales at xyx company types to CTO and Chief Product Managers). The main problem I seem to be facing is their diverse backgrounds and my lack of ability to relate to their backgrounds (the only exception being the technical types due to my CS background) so is there any strategy /mindset I should have while talking to these people? The irony is that I am mostly interested in Product Management/Sales/Consulting (within tech sector) type of roles rather than SWE engineering gigs but I lack the perspective and know how when it comes to this diverse field.

Use these opportunities to ask for their advice. Be sure to actually say the word advice. It’s a behavioral thing. When you ask someone for their advice it makes them feel good/important, they’ll give you a thoughtful answer, and a small part of them becomes vested in your success. You could even pose this conundrum of yours directly them them. “Hey Mr. CTO, could I get your advice on something?” And you could ask the best way to break into their field, or whatever. It’ll get them talking at the very least.

My hidden agenda is obviously to get these people to refer me others or maybe recruit me. Most people who are successful usually have a hard time pinpointing their success IMHO. Also since their fields of expertise is so different from one another it’s hard to ask for advice if I don’t really know what is it they do.

Just ask them if they know about Q. Then log on to AF together and bond over getting woke AF.

Well, hopefully your doing some research before you meet with the person. Obviously you’ll want to know what their company does and what they do. That should be enough to get you started. If nothing else, you can always say, “what’s your best advice on someone with my background breaking into your field?” That’s a layup.

I think they will be interested in learning about your background, since it’s a bit unusual. Tech is very diverse in general.

OK, I met two BSD types in the last two days. All of whom spent around an hour and seemed very enthusiastic. At what point do I send them an email asking if they will hire me ?

I tried to come off as someone more in need of direction and guidance than someone just looking for a job since the former is a huge boost to their ego. The trouble is due to these people having very different roles and the diversity of roles in technology in general meetings asking for advice would lose value as time goes by and I wanna make the move without being too direct since the mentor mentee relationship is hard to form.

My personal approach to networking is to play the long game. I tend to try to build rapport and meet regularly with people until we’re actually more on a friend basis. This may be difficult if they’re high up in the organization given the competition for time. Might just need to stay in occasional email contact regarding industry topics then try to get a follow up meeting in like a month. Once you get 2-3 meetings (kind of like the dating guideline) it is then clear to ask for more. Also like dating I find desperation and attempting to force things are the enemy of the end goal. I network pretty aggressively at times, often over a year or more period to where I’m basically just hanging out with other industry contacts occasionally at happy hours than networking, I don’t know that I’ve ever asked for a job directly though. More like building familiarity with the industry and storing contacts for a rainy day I guess.

That made me cringe a bit. The point of networking is to get them to have a favorable opinion of you so when either they have an open position or they know someone who is hiring, they think of you. Or, at the very least, maybe you could use them for a reference when you’re applying somewhere. This doesn’t happen overnight. Like BS said, you have to establish a relationship first. This could take months.

Can I take you for coffee sometime? I think you’re the shining bastion of financial career success and I’d love for you to opine on my current situation. Just need some advice in return for a free bagel!

Let them know casually in conversations you are interested in employment in the field. They’ll suggest you jobs or connections if they think it is a fit. I’d focus on finding anyway to add value and cultivate the network over a long period of time

I mean if you’re legitimately serious and in Boston area I’m always up for meeting up. If you’re making fun that’s also fair, was just offering my $0.02!

IMHO (and I’m the retardedest person I know at this kind of stuff) — you need to be AUTHENTIC.

If you try to put on airs or be somebody you’re not, it will eventually haunt you.

my type of networking is usually in a party setting. i have never actively tried to network for a sit down, usually they hear of me from someone else and they end up wanting to meet up for a sit down. its quite flattering when people network with you, so i never say no for a meet up. usually though they are either someone i know from someone else.

like mom’s boss’s kid in hs.

former co worker’s boss.

co worker’s son.

co worker’s acquaintance.

50m friend’s younger brother.

bitcoin’s dad.

dad’s hs friend.