New Book

I’m looking for a new book to read and wanted to hear some suggestions. I really want to stay away from finance and would prefer something including some pyschology.

Psychology schmycology.

Read this

One book on my list is Influence by Cialdini. It’s a book Charlie Munger recommended in one of his talks. Another book Munger recommended a while back, which I liked, was called “Fortune’s Formula” about how the Kelly Criterion was developed and used. It mentions brief stories about finance but not too much.

Also the freakonomics books are good, imo.

I want the new ASOIAF to come out already :frowning:

Sorry, it really is depressing how bad i am at articulating my wants despite reading inordinate amounts of lit but i digress, im not seeking psychology per se, just a novel that incorporates some interesting, self reflection concepts. I blasted through the alchemist last night and was rather dissappointed after all the reviews.

HP, is this the right one?

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~a0083545/cloud/Robert%20Caldini_Influence,%20Psychology%20of%20Persuasion.pdf

Ever read “Cannery Row”? It’s one of my favorites. It’s a novel and deals with the ideas of inner reflection and what not.

No clue how you found that LOL but yes, that’s it!

Here’s the amazon review on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychology-Persuasion-Business-Essentials/dp/006124189X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403703982&sr=8-1&keywords=influence+cialdini

“The Woman Who Lost Her Soul” was awesome (6 stars!), but pretty challenging. Pretty much all the bad reviews are from people who quit in the first part of the book. Stick with it until they get to Croatia. It is worth it. It flirts with ideas of self-identity and how you change back if your former self no longer interlocks cleanly with the shape you have assumed. What happens when you’re an actor in the theater without boundaries or an audience? Where is the thin wall of separation between “patriotism and hatred, love and violence, ideology and facts, judgment and passion, intellect and emotion, duty and zealotry, hope and certainty, confidence and hubris, power and fury…?" There were times where I had to stop reading this book and just star into space and think “damn.” It’s alternatively grusome, beatiful, shocking and sometimes all three. It led me to start reading some Graham Greene, as I know the author is influenced by him. Here’s the jacket synopsis:

Renowned through four award-winning books for his gritty and revelatory visions of the Caribbean, Bob Shacochis returns to occupied Haiti in The Woman Who Lost Her Soul before sweeping across time and continents to unravel tangled knots of romance, espionage, and vengeance. In riveting prose, Shacochis builds a complex and disturbing story about the coming of age of America in a pre-9/11 world.

From the violent, bandit-dominated terrain of World War II Dubrovnik to the exquisitely rendered Istanbul in the 1980s, Shacochis brandishes Jackie’s shadowy family history with daring agility. Caught between her first love and the unsavory attentions of her father—an elite spy and quintessential Cold War warrior pressuring his daughter to follow in his footsteps—seventeen-year-old Jackie hatches a desperate escape plan that puts her on course to becoming the soulless woman Tom equally feared and desired.

Set over fifty years and in four countries backdropped by different wars,The Woman Who Lost Her Soul is a magnum opus that brings to life, through the mystique and allure of history, an intricate portrait of catastrophic events that led up to the war on terror and the America we are today.

I think the quality has been slowly declining quite honestly. Just setting itself up for a dexter-like disappoitnment

Crime and Punishment

Love in the Time of Cholera

Brothers Karamazov

One Hundred Years of Solitude

…just some light reading you know…

Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Best book i’ve read in a while.

Really depends. I don’t read ASOIAF for the writing style - I read it for the story. In my mind the story could go many ways and that’s what makes it exciting. SPOILERS COMING FOR NON-WATCHERS READERS. I like that he isn’t afraid to kill off main characters like Rob, Tywin, Joeffrey. I like that there is always a shady background party to everything like Varys or Bealish. I like the character development of how Sansa could go from a whimsical noble to what I see as the future female version of Bealish. If he can keep pushing the characters story and give more information to who John Snow really was. Give more information to who the other Targareyans are (cause we know she isn’t the only one). It will be epic. Plus Dorne just entered the fray and I like their attitude.

Nice easy read thus far. Really enjoying the content, many thanks

^yup was gonna say dostoevsky is right alonmg with what it sounds like your looking for if you didn’t have to read them in HS or uni