New Grad, Entry Sales Path?

Hey everyone, was hoping to get some advice from you all. I graduated in 2007 from a BBA program, decent but unspectacular GPA with an equally decent but unspectacular resume; didn’t manage to get any co-op experience. Haven’t seriously started job searching until recently, as I was doing continuing studies for an unrelated program for the past year. Anyways, I’ve been hoping to get into sales-side of finance, something more oriented towards dealing with clients, etc. and trying to avoid quantitative positions; not particularly that I think I can’t deal with the latter position, but rather that I prefer to deal with people. Also, salary isn’t that big of a focus for me; I don’t really need to be making six figures any time soon, rather have 50 hours of work than 100. Besides applying at all the FSA positions at the Big 5, I can’t really think of anything else that offers this kind of position. Now that I’ve applied to all the positions on their online recruitment, I’m just sitting around, which is frustrating. Got a couple interviews and offers for fund accounting positions in Toronto, but from what I’ve heard from my friends who have worked as fund accountants, it’s very boring and repetitive work, and doesn’t really lead anywhere… not sure if this is true, but the job description doesn’t exactly fit what path I want to head in anyways. Anyways, anyone have any suggestions, harsh or otherwise?

redvolve, i’m guessing you’re in canada? perhaps try for a sales assistant position at one of the independent retail brokerage houses? if u’re setting the bar at 50hrs a wk, that doesnt leave u with very many options

Yes, I’m in the suburbs north of Toronto, GTA. Not strictly 50 hours a week, just saying that I’m not aiming to get into a 100 hour a week banking position, sorry if it wasn’t clear.

redvolve Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes, I’m in the suburbs north of Toronto, GTA. > > Not strictly 50 hours a week, just saying that I’m > not aiming to get into a 100 hour a week banking > position, sorry if it wasn’t clear. Try a Client Service Associate job with an asset manager. Then transition into institutional sales after a couple of years. That’s what I’m doing.

I second Ibank’s suggestion. If you want to work in sales, you should try applying for a sales assistant position at retail branch office. Eventually you could probably go from sales assistant to FA or whatever.

First, there are more than the big 5 if you want a career in sales… try all the major non-bank financials like insurance, mutual funds and smaller brokers. Second, if you really want a career in sales, the best way to get in is to sell yourself in. This involves more than just emailing your resume. Cold call each and every MD you can get a hold of and pitch yourself. IMHO, it is the fastest way to build credibility for the position and it also offers the quickest feedback cycle of any form or personal (or otherwise) marketing. Finally, good luck cause it isn’t easy to break in.