new objective statement

Does this sound too modest? " After thirty years of executive-level experience, I know who I am. I was born to lead, not follow. While I am quick to assert myself, I realize that creating economic value ultimately defines success. I am tenacious and direct, yet quick to diffuse confrontation. I usually think three to five years ahead of time, which often tests my patience and that of those around me. I am very competitive and definitely prefer winning over the alternative. I thrive on a sense of achievement rather than the recognition of others. In summary, I believe that effective leaders must earn the trust and confidence of those they lead. I have been fortunate to earn the trust and confidence of many through the daily demonstration of integrity, fairness, respect, perseverance, discipline, and sheer competence. "

maybe scratch the “sheer competence” part?

Sounds like a real doosh.

This seems overdone, unless it’s a text for a Successories poster.

i actually think the person needs to kick up the confidence level if he’s hoping to roll with the big doggies on wall street. right now i think he’s too humble for his own good http://www.terrywakefield.com/

thepinkman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sounds like a real doosh. Last time I checked, you didn’t understand the correlation between interest rates and inflation. Might want to check up on that before calling out somebody. Douche.

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does this sound too modest? > > " After thirty years of executive-level > experience, I know who I am. I was born to lead, > not follow. While I am quick to assert myself, I > realize that creating economic value ultimately > defines success. I am tenacious and direct, yet > quick to diffuse confrontation. I usually think > three to five years ahead of time, which often > tests my patience and that of those around me. I > am very competitive and definitely prefer winning > over the alternative. I thrive on a sense of > achievement rather than the recognition of others. > In summary, I believe that effective leaders > must earn the trust and confidence of those they > lead. I have been fortunate to earn the trust and > confidence of many through the daily demonstration > of integrity, fairness, respect, perseverance, > discipline, and sheer competence. " I would add the following: “And, just like Chuck Norris, I don’t sleep, I wait!”. On a serious note that might be the gheyest thing I have read on this board.

> > Last time I checked, you didn’t understand the > correlation between interest rates and inflation. > Might want to check up on that before calling out > somebody. Douche. Try to act like a professional.

virgin, you’ve posted good stuff before, so let me state up front that I think you’re a good guy, but I’m going to pick apart your paragraph line by line. First, as an “objective statement”, I was thinking it would be at the top of your resume, and I think it comes across as if you are bragging about being an assertive, get-the-job-done, kind of guy, without having much concrete in there to back it up. Maybe you are thinking of it as a cover letter statement or an elevator-speech statement, which is a little more tolerable. Here we go: " After thirty years of executive-level experience, I know who I am." Nice to know that you have 30 years of experience. This seems to imply that you needed that long to figure out who you are. If you don’t want to imply that… find another way to say it. “I was born to lead, not follow.” Sounds like you were born to use slogans, and semi-cliches at that. “While I am quick to assert myself, I realize that creating economic value ultimately defines success.” This suggests that being quick to assert yourself is somehow related to creating economic value. Maybe, but I don’t quite get the connection. It also suggests that you think economic things are the key indicator of success, which may or may not be something your audience responds to. “I am tenacious and direct, yet quick to diffuse confrontation.” Tenacious makes people think of tentacles, so unless it’s clear that you’re grabbing something that is good for the company, most people want to run away from tentacles. Confrontation… oh, confrontation happens around this guy? uh oh… “I usually think three to five years ahead of time, which often tests my patience and that of those around me.” Long term thinking can be good, or maybe they want someone who makes next quarter’s targets. I’m a little worried that “those around me” may be feeling impatient with this guy. “I am very competitive and definitely prefer winning over the alternative.” OK, me too. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t prefer to win. But competitive might be good (in the right context). “I thrive on a sense of achievement rather than the recognition of others.” Seems harmless enough… let’s just make sure our sense of achievement is enough in line that we work together well. “In summary, I believe that effective leaders must earn the trust and confidence of those they lead.” That makes sense, and I’d like to be confident… am I hiring this guy to lead my company, or do I just want a job done? And what has this guy done already to inspire my confidence? So far it sounds like a “Be all you can be” commercial. "I have been fortunate to earn the trust and confidence of many through the daily demonstration of integrity, fairness, respect, perseverance, discipline, and sheer competence. " ‘Sheer competence’? Do they bottle that stuff now? I’d much rather see some example of you being integral, fair, respectful, persevering, disciplined, and competent, than just have to take you word for it. “sheer competence” implies that your competence is far far above normal… maybe that’s true, but it sounds like you’re bragging if you don’t have an example right there of something truly outstanding you’ve accomplished. At the end… where is the objective in your objective statement? You’ve told us more about your values and your style than your objective? From this statement, I can tell that this guy wants to be a team player and will probably work hard, might be a leader or just has leader-like slogans. Or he might come and try to take my job from me? So, virgin, none of this is meant to be mean or condescending, but for me it just rubs me the wrong way in so many ways. I have a lot of respect for the things you say on AF, so I am a little surprised to hear it from you. Maybe you are concerned that the IM industry is super macho (I think the sell side is more than the buy side), and are perhaps trying to overcompensate. I’d try to start over with what your real objective is, which is some kind of role (you choose), that uses some sets of skills (you say what they are), and perhaps leading to a particular type of future role (that you specify). Then you figure out what personal qualities are most important for that, then give examples from your 30 years of experience that show that you have these qualities.

bchadwick, how bored are you tonight?

This was a joke!!!

I went to meet a career coach the other day. He told me to do away with the objective statement entirely. I have replaced it with a photograph of myself. It’s not just a headshot. It is a photo from the waste up. I’m holding a hunting rifle. I am holding a dead rabbit. I wear a hat with a red feather. I’m smiling but at the same time I look serious. I have a glimmer in my eye that looks like I may be winking at you… but I am not winking. My teeth are white but not fake looking. They show age and character.

Ok, I’m the joke… yeah… I’m up late, and was very bored… Sorry… you guys can laugh at me… I agree. :wink:

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I went to meet a career coach the other day. He > told me to do away with the objective statement > entirely. I have replaced it with a photograph of > myself. It’s not just a headshot. It is a photo > from the waste up. I’m holding a hunting rifle. > I am holding a dead rabbit. I wear a hat with a > red feather. I’m smiling but at the same time I > look serious. I have a glimmer in my eye that > looks like I may be winking at you… but I am not > winking. My teeth are white but not fake looking. > They show age and character. Was this before or after Dick Cheney shot you?

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thepinkman Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Sounds like a real doosh. > > Last time I checked, you didn’t understand the > correlation between interest rates and inflation. > Might want to check up on that before calling out > somebody. Douche. Go fack your mother.

Shut up Jalmy. You’ve got a test to fail.

This really esclated since I left…well done guys.

My comment at least was to continue the joke, regarding Dick Cheney and Hunting. Rereading, I see that it could come across as a bit aggressive, which was not my intent.

Shame on you bChadwick! By using the word “Dick” in your post you incited cursing. By using the word “Cheney” in your post you incited hate and anger.