New to CFA and forum... hello!

Hello, I will be sitting for the June 2008 level 1 exam. Ive been following this forum since I started studying about a month ago and just wanted to introduce myself before I jump into asking a million questions (which i am sure I will have in the following months). a little background… graduated from state school in June 07, been working the backoffice for a major Boston firm since than. Hoping that CFA, both the knowledge and certification, will help accelerate my career. Hello to all and lets pass this sucker… GenY

Welcome to the forum, good luck in your studies, and bring on the questions.

Hello GenY…Im new here also…Welcome! Good Luck!

Hello GenY … Im also a new first time CFA candidate and will take the exam in June this year. A bit about myself… have 12 years experience working in foreign banks in Hanoi, Vietnam… switched job 3 months ago and I am now in Research team of a securities company. Both the new job and the coming exam require me to learn and take the CFA shot… so Hello!!! Hung

Well folks, looks like we are in this together now! Ive read elsewhere in the forum that alot of Level 1 is concept based as opposed to working out problems. I am finishing up book 1 of the CFA curriculum… 90% of the stuff in the probability and quantative methods sections I learned in college so have a decent grasp of conceptually. My question is, are we going to have to work out from scratch things like, correlation, standard deviation and covariance? Given the number of problems and the length of the test, doing so seems a little over the top. especially when you realize that all these things are calculated using spreadsheets in the real world. Can someone with some experience with the level 1 test comment on this? Thanks! GenY

GenY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well folks, looks like we are in this together > now! > > Ive read elsewhere in the forum that alot of Level > 1 is concept based as opposed to working out > problems. I am finishing up book 1 of the CFA > curriculum… 90% of the stuff in the probability > and quantative methods sections I learned in > college so have a decent grasp of conceptually. > > My question is, are we going to have to work out > from scratch things like, correlation, standard > deviation and covariance? > > Given the number of problems and the length of the > test, doing so seems a little over the top. > especially when you realize that all these things > are calculated using spreadsheets in the real > world. > > Can someone with some experience with the level 1 > test comment on this? > > Thanks! > > GenY GenY: Yes, there’s a lot of formulas. The main way to sort out what’s conceptual vs plug and chug is to read the LOS carefully. Some LOS ask you to"Explain" (conceptual understandting) , and some to “Calculate” (plug and chug). In addition, try to work problems/questions at the end of each section - they’ll give you a better idea as to what’s expected, and will reinforce the material. And welcome to the group.

Good tip bus! Thanks