Newbie Ques

Hi, I am a Computer Engineer, however now I am looking to give CFA L1 in June 2008. I have a few questions: 1. Do you think 6 months of prepration is good for someone with, some background in Finance ( I have completed a graduate level course in Accounting and finance) 2. Before going to Schewser notes, I want to finish reading some books to make sure I’ve done all the groundwork. Where do I get the list of books ? 3. Do you think getting L1 would get me a real job in finance or should I go for L2 before looking for career change ? Many thanks:)

You need to use the search function. These questions get asked repeatedly. 1) Nobody knows how long it will take you to prepare. 25% of the people who sign up for the exam pass it. That means all that anyone knows about you is that it is unlikely you pass. 2) There is no book list. 3) We don’t know anything about you except that you are a computer engineer. Passing CFA level I puts you in the elite company of several hundred thousand other people.

srbnow, CFAI provides a set of really very good books which you can use for the exams. They cover all the topics and are very well written. If you have the time, you should read them.

srbnow Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi, I am a Computer Engineer, however now I am > looking to give CFA L1 in June 2008. I have a few > questions: I am one such fool too… a Computer Software Professional, welcome to the club though. > 1. Do you think 6 months of prepration is good for > someone with, some background in Finance ( I have > completed a graduate level course in Accounting > and finance) I am appearing for L1 in Dec 07’ and I had 0 finance background, It took me 6 months of casual study (since I work full time, so hardly got 2 hrs in the late-evenings for study) > 2. Before going to Schewser notes, I want to > finish reading some books to make sure I’ve done > all the groundwork. Where do I get the list of > books ? It was a nightmare for me, when I read the books for the first time, It look me 45 minutes to read a page initially, look up all the new works, read concepts from wiki, investopedia, download B-school presentations… so on and so forth… > 3. Do you think getting L1 would get me a real job > in finance or should I go for L2 before looking > for career change ? dude, even a CFA-L3 won’t get you a job. It’s only network that matters!! It’s not what you know, it’s all about whom you know. > Many thanks:)

I, too, am a computer engineer with literally zero finance background. I am taking the exam this december and have been studying for about 4 months now doing about 2-3 hours a day. I think 6 months is plenty of time for you given you put effort into it every week. But again, many people fail, even having prepared for months, so there’s no way to really tell. If you can pick up and retain material quickly then you’ll do better than others.

Thanks all…feels good to know, I am not the only one :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t spend time reading extra books. CFAI materials are sufficient. Posting questions on AF is also very helpful.