Next big thing or the road to it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1161274/Scientists-develop-mobile-phone-battery-charged-just-10-seconds.html Thoughts?

sounds pretty good. my initial thought would be that it charges faster but does not last as long, but it said “Unlike other battery materials, the new material does not degrade when repeatedly charged and recharged. That could lead to faster batteries lasting between two or three years, they said.” so no negative aspects in the article . . . could be the next new thing

Ya, I work in invention VC and a paper on this came across my desk today…didn’t have time to read it but I’ll see what’s up with this thing tomorrow. Sounds kinda good to me…

this is one rather boring example of nanotechnology in general - strap your seatbelts on, the future’s gonna be crazier than you can imagine

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this is one rather boring example of > nanotechnology in general - strap your seatbelts > on, the future’s gonna be crazier than you can > imagine well, nanotech devices are space saving - this is time saving

I think innovations like this are really going to change the way we use power and electronic devices on a daily basis. One of the big issues that a lot of the phones and digital devices are facing is that with greater network speeds (ie 2G to 3G on iPhone), they have to develop technology in regards to battery life so that you can actually go on the internet with your phone without it dying. There is technology out now so that you can put a device on an electronic plate and have it charge on the plate (a charge plate) without plugging anything in. Lets say you combine this technology with the technology above. Next thing you would have this combined technology in every local starbucks so that if you sat down for 10 seconds or a minute, your laptop or phone would be ready to go. Or for the super connected future trader, you are wearing glasses that have a monitor built in, and a network running on “10G” speeds. You don’t have to stay locked to your desk to keep up with the world markets, and can pull the trigger on any big moves that catch your eye. You stop by your local barista for a doubleshot and put your phone down on the table, it recharges all of these devices, and you get up and are good to go . . . Then you get on the train to go to your house that is out in the country, and now instead of running electric wires or cables, the trains recharge on each stop as they touch down, or if you take the electric car, there is a charge stop to refill if you need a quick bite to eat or need to run an errand.

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > this is one rather boring example of > > nanotechnology in general - strap your > seatbelts > > on, the future’s gonna be crazier than you can > > imagine > > > well, nanotech devices are space saving - this is > time saving No, nanotech devices will save time, space, “free” energy, matter. The “free” is there in quotes because energy and matter are the same thing. Think of what you can do with 4 nanometer scale features on your processors, instead of a “huge” 45 nanometers now. There’s a revolution coming - the world is going to fundamentally change when you have massive computation combined with atomically precise nanotech.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > philip.platt Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > sublimity Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > this is one rather boring example of > > > nanotechnology in general - strap your > > seatbelts > > > on, the future’s gonna be crazier than you > can > > > imagine > > > > > > well, nanotech devices are space saving - this > is > > time saving > > No, nanotech devices will save time, space, “free” > energy, matter. The “free” is there in quotes > because energy and matter are the same thing. > oh ok cool - I didn’t know that

No worries, I didn’t know too much either until recently. There’s some ridiculous crap coming our way. They are making: - invisibility cloaks (by bending light around objects) - artificial red blood cells (so that one breath and you can stay under water for hours) - self cleaning clothes - electrodes that will interface directly with your neurons for variety of things like virtual reality, moving things just by thinking, etc. - self propelling nanomachines in your blood stream, that will deliver the perfect balance of nutrients to you (based on your genome) and since they’re self-propelling, you don’t need the very error prone human heart that you have so many more…i’m so excited

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No worries, I didn’t know too much either until > recently. There’s some ridiculous crap coming our > way. > > They are making: > - invisibility cloaks (by bending light around > objects) > I saw some researchers do this on a small scale. Crazy and a bit scary when you think about military applications.

Someone needs to invent wireless electricity. So your phone/laptop batteries never die.

ZeroBonus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Someone needs to invent wireless electricity. So > your phone/laptop batteries never die. Go do a little reading in Tesla. We’ve had wireless electricity for a long time. It just takes A LOT of energy to transmit a little bit remotely.

Yeah I think wireless electricity has had problems with the distortion of molecules that come in between the airspace of the two transmitters as well (possibly cancer causing if we were around it all the time?)

the invention is neat, with some obvious practical applications, but it’s not revolutionary, imo. this article doesn’t go into it, but the technology has a general trade-off between the rate of charge/discharge and its total energy density. what this means is, you could charge your laptop say, 9x faster, but it would only last 1/5th as long. this is an improvement, but the real holy grail of battery technology is high energy density. for example, i personally would rather have a laptop that could last 1 day over one that can charge in 10 minutes, but needs to be charged every hour. also, our power infrastructure isn’t currently designed for mass deployment of high wattage devices. if you’ve ever blown a fuse or circuit breaker from using a hairdryer, you know what i mean. now imagine every person in the country randomly flipping a hairdryer on for 10 seconds every few hours.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They are making: - invisibility cloaks (by bending light around objects) We are working on that one over here, it is public knowledge so I can talk about it, but most of the cool stuff I am clammed up on via NDA. The other public cool thing we’re cooking is controlling hurricanes.