No CFA Charter without "relevant" work experience ??

Hello all, I just passed L2 in June and will be sitting for L3 in June 09. I started working in the financial services industry in July 2007 and was an electrical engineer for the four years prior. So assuming I pass L3 in June 09 (an assumption no doubt), then is it true that I will still have to wait until at least July 2011 to receive my charter? I read on the institute site what looks to be some pretty strict guidelines for what qualifies as relevant work experience, and my time as an ee working for a few defense contractors likely won’t cut it. Any thoughts on this in general? I also got an MBA in finance part-time from 2004-2007…any chance this can count towards fulfilling this “work requirement”? I am guessing I have to suck it up and possibly wait two years after passing L3 to become a charterholder and use the 3 letters…guess it’ll be just more cause for celebration in the summer of 2011 without having had to do any hard studying!

They dont’ even let ‘unspecific’ financial services jobs go through so no, there’s no hope of any engineering experience going through. Its the education that matters really, the letters only go so far.

Do you have to be a charterholder to use CFA after your name? I thought once you pass Level 3 and CFA institute gives the desination, you can use CFA after your name. Please clarify…

oh boy [pops popcorn and grabs a good seat]

Trade you a beer for some of that (pulls up another and tries to cadge some).

oof

Sweet, so you can get to Level III without passing ethics. I had always wondered about that one.

Aussie, I mean if you have 4 years experience accepted by the institute, passed L3, and received CFA institute letter, you can use “CFA”. I misunderstood between “CFA” and “CFA charter holder”, thinking one might need additional work experience to use charter holder. MY BAD.

Aussie, I mean if you have 4 years experience accepted by the institute, passed L3, and received CFA institute letter, you can use “CFA”. I misunderstood between “CFA” and “CFA charter holder”, thinking one might need additional work experience to use charter holder. MY BAD.

Yea I can see how that can be confusing … I really hope English is not your first language Rudeboi ,Chartered Financial Analyst Charter Holder

christ almighty…what type of popcorn is that?

how do you even post in the level 3 forum with that kind of question? wow…

I guess this is some weird kind of boasting - dude claims he passed two levels without knowing shit about ethics, so we all need to infer he’s a rockstar at everything else.

You are not so bad. I wait 3 years after passing L3.

Now, I have 2 more years to go…

sigh …