No show

What happens if I do not show up for the exam? Obviosuly I get a fail… Are there any other reprecussions?

You lose out on the money, your employer (if applicable) will say WTF, and your co-workers (if applicable) will point and laugh at you. Why would you not show up? If you paid for it, take it even if you haven’t studied one iota. But, there are lots of people that don’t show for the exam. And some that show for the AM, but not the PM :slight_smile:

At least in some places, societies have some financial responsibility if candidates are no-shows. Your best bet would be to contact your local society (ie, the one administering the exam where you’re taking it) before you decide to not show (leaving you a few hours as of this post before it’s the point of no return). About 20-30% of candidates are no-shows yearly from what a GOOG search superficially reveals. If you don’t show up and don’t tell them, you may have to pay a fee.

memalos Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What happens if I do not show up for the exam? > Obviosuly I get a fail… Are there any other > reprecussions? You wouldn’t get a score report at all. So it would not be a fail. One must stay for the PM section to get a score report.

But just take it anyway yo. May as well get the experience even if you do fail, which is really not “failing” in my book as it just gives you 6 more months to rest up and prepare properly. You can’t get your money back and can’t withdraw anyway. So why not? Use it as practise if for nothing else? You really have nothing to lose at this point…

ABh555 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But just take it anyway yo. May as well get the > experience even if you do fail, which is really > not “failing” in my book as it just gives you 6 > more months to rest up and prepare properly. You > can’t get your money back and can’t withdraw > anyway. So why not? Use it as practise if for > nothing else? You really have nothing to lose at > this point… Well, some economists would call it a sunk cost. You can’t look back at all that, you have to look at the here and now. So if tomorrow is a gorgeous day and he has the option for a 9:00 tee time with his pals, that would be a big trade off to sit for an exam that he’ll fail anyway.

Well, that depends QuantJock_MBA. Sure, it can be a sunk cost if memalos’ utility is as defined in the scenario you present (ie, Golf > CFA). But it could also be an improvement on the learning curve if memalos was to just take it and learn how an exam goes in real life. That can’t be replicated even with the best mocks or sample exams. Might be worth way more than another round of golf, which given that it’s summer: you could find potentially many, many weekends with good weather going forward for a few *months* to schedule with friends, but CFA I’s only 2x/yr. With econ you can go either way. “Utility” is truly in the eye of the beholder / utiliser…

If you plan on registering again I’d say take it. You’ll have a first hand account of what to expect on the exam and you’ll be one step ahead for next time. I had a buddy not sit for December and I just could not understand his logic. After much harrassment he admitted that it had been a poor choice on his part and he regretted it. If you paid the $$$ and devoted some time to it you might as well see it through to the end, even if you fail. Some people just have “quit” ingrained into every fiber of their bodies it seems.

You automatically get 100 points knocked off your GMAT score so don’t do it if you’re planning to go to b-school some day.

if you dont show: - loss of respect, you should have manned up and faced it - loss of exam experience, a part of the battle is the material and another part is the strategy, you should have gone to “feel” the stress/pressure so at least you would know what its like for the next exam