No Studying on the Last Day

Hi there, I’ve been reading a lot of about people allocating most of their efforts to the last week before the exam (which I’ll do as well), but what about the very last day - Friday, 6th? My point is that the exam requires a lot of knowledge, no doubt, but it also requires a lot of thinking. And thinking works only when you’re rested… So why not study hard on Thursday, and leave Friday for park walks or football games? There is obviously a big psychological factor (it’s kind of scary not to look in the books just on the last day), but maybe it’s worth it? I didn’t try this technique on previous CFAs, but I think I’ll try to do this time. Well, what would you say?

I studied very hard the last day before L2…i think it got me really, really freaked out and nervous and doubting… in the end I passed with a high margin and would have been even better off to relax that last day…

Are you insane??? I would completely phreak out if I didn’t put in a few hours of study time on the Friday… :slight_smile: lol

I’ll probably take it fairly easy, take a half day from work and study perhaps 2 hours tops. Worked for the past two exams.

Look at things like GIPS disclosures is a good idea I think…

The only thing I do on the Friday is go over some formulas and brush up a bit. Last year I went for a two hour walk with formula sheet in hand and walked around like a drunk bumbling fool. Can you imagine walking along side some goofball mumbling FCFF = …FCFE =…

I’ll drive to my exam center, grab a hotel room, then hit the bar for a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a nice cold beer… then back to reviewing.

bigwilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ll drive to my exam center, grab a hotel room, > then hit the bar for a bacon cheeseburger, fries, > and a nice cold beer… then back to reviewing. I went grocery shopping the night before last year LOL

I will only review formulas on Friday, maybe some light stuff like GIPS…

I will go over formulas, terms and lists on the last day.

I have a hard stop at 5, Have gotten take out from the same steakhouse (Chop House on Halsted) for those in Chicago. Eat my take out and relax with a few beers.

bigwilly Wrote: > and a nice cold beer… then back to reviewing. I’ll be having a tall bottle of whiskey…then back to reviewing!

I’ll drink some JD to that :slight_smile:

There’s no one-size-fits-all study strategy. Personally, I will go nuts on the last day. My basic strategy is this: I spend 4 months learning, and one week memorizing. I will spend Friday reading formula sheets and advantages/disadvantages. That way, I’ll instant recall of the stuff that requires instant regurgitation.

Hell…I know I’ll look at my quick sheet at 8 AM Sat morning too…

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hell…I know I’ll look at my quick sheet at 8 AM > Sat morning too… Yep, I usually bring my formula sheets to review right up until I go into the exam room. I’d hate to goof up a calculation because I couldn’t recall a formula.

i never review right before exam. If you know it, you know it. I am not willing to cram, it is just not me

At L1 I reviewed LIFO/FIFO at 11pm before the exam instead of going to bed. Turned out to be a very good decision. But I generally plan to make Friday before a “light study day,” but then end up doing more than I expected just because I want to.

I am planning to look over GIPS and Ethics in the morning on Friday and have a wedding to go to in the evening. I won’t study there, that’s for sure :).

Pull an all nighter and go to the exam with no sleep… just kidding L1 and L2 I always took the friday off to relax. if i were to do anything, i would suggest ethics/gips but absolutley no studying or memorization. BUT everyone is different, I personally would get freaked out if i started reviewing calculations and start doubting myself that i dont know it, and start losing confidence. i booked a massage this year, and will probably go to the gym and for a few beers as well. BUT for L1 and L2, I did review notes during lunch ***ONLY on major topics that were not tested in the morning and which had a good chance coming in after lunch and then going into afternoon exam and specifically looking for those questions to do first.