No vote, no voice

For many people, voting is a waste of time. I lived in a county with 90% of voters leaning one way. While I did go to vote, my vote did not matter at all. If I had spent the time sitting here writing internet opinions, I would have done more for politics than actually voting (as little as that would have been).

Voting is relatively costless and people should vote if they are able. However, it’s going too far to say that not voting should preclude people from attending town halls, writing public opinions, or otherwise participating in the democratic process in other constitutionally protected ways.

90% is pretty damn high, but I still don’t like the “my vote doesn’t even matter” arguement either. I’m sure there were thousands of people (provided your community is that big) that think along the lines of the 10% that didn’t vote because they felt it didn’t matter. But, I can promise you, if the elected official saw that margin start to trend toward 80%, then to 70%, etc. they’d take notice.

Or, maybe everyone does vote and it just so happens that 90% of the people actually do feel that way…which would be an awesome place to live.

If 100% of people in Alameda county, CA voted, there would be a 90% outcome in elections along party lines.

You live in Crimea?

True for local elections, but what about state-wide elections? Maybe those 10% who are in the minority can affect state-wide elections. Probably not the case in CA, but you could certainly find a county in FL that leans very strongly toward one party and still have the voters for the minority party be what swings a state-wide election.

BTW, according to Wikipedia, only 56% of registered voters in Alameda County, CA are democrats.

I know others here disagree, but ohai’s “my vote doesn’t matter” theory is why I think electoral votes should be awarded by congressional district, not winner take all. If I’m a republican living in CA or a democrat living in TX, I know my vote for president doesn’t really matter because there is 99.9999% probability that the state’s electoral votes will go the other way. If electoral votes are awarded by congressional district though, there is a much higher probability that my vote will actually matter.

Maine and Nebraska do it this way. I think it’s definitely the way to go.

Since it’s election day, I just wanted to throw a “hooray” to Sweep. This post actually got me thinking, and I actually voted this year. (Straight Libertarian, I might add.)

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pSh0VAVYn4]

or the D

Excellent. I too voted this morning. I voted for a republican, an independent, a democrat, and a libertarian. Screw party lines.

I’ll be voting in my home district right after work and in multiple districts in Philly shortly thereafter. Thank you superior court for shooting down PA’s voter ID law.

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QNZ2z2Cr4o]

^Higgy?

I live in Austin, TX where every city level position is democrat and state level is republican.

Regardless, I’ll go vote for the libertarian city council candidates and Democrat judges.

Exactly. You have no voice if you’re dead, so no vote means you die and have no voice …

P Diddy and his infinite wisdom reign supreme.

“Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”

do it fellas

http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/04/michelle-obamas-closing-argument-to-black-voters-dont-think-vote-for-democrats/

Good job. I of course am too elitist to go to a voting booth, but I voted by mail for good candidates, regardless of party lines.

Ohai - California is more moderate (less left-leaing) than you think. Our state legislature hoever is dominated by Dems because of safe seats. And we are safely Dem in national elections for senators and President. Not so for Congress and local bodies.

When he said “a couple of times” he obviously meant he kept coming back until the line wasn’t as long. Anyone who knows anything about statistics knows voter fraud at an individual level isn’t possible.

Sean Hannity? What are you doing here?