NYC vs SF

I know how much it costs to get drunk in both cities and it’s way cheaper in SF. Way, way cheaper.

Less expensive drinks, or stronger drinks?

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw]

Yes

where in the west coast? from everything ive heard from friends SF is dead by the time the clock strikes midnight - less so in LA im sure

Yeah, this is true. SF doesn’t have a lot of bars to begin with. And during the week, those that are around the financial center tend to close up pretty early. Certainly not like NY or LA where there’s always a dive bar open somewhere.

agree with Ohai’s post - part of it - from way up…at least the gist of it…

Mobius…Always good to have a car even in NYC

Apartments in upper west or east side can go for between $3000-$6000 a foot…So you’re looking at a 1200 SF 2 bedroom for $4.5M. I gotta say anything less than $3k a foot, you’re looking at china town or midtown and/or “pre war” building which is 100 years old and no elevator (shared laundry) and you will be bombarded by traffic noise, sirens, cars honking, buses roaring, people yelling from 6am-2am.

But in SF, at least you have the chance to buy a small (still at least 1200 SF) house on quarter acre for $4M in your own neighborhood with your own car garage.

If you’re in LA, you’re probably use to outdoors, in NYC, even if you have a car forget it…25 degree winters and 90 degree summers…no mountains to ski on…no beaches like you guys have in CA…golf? $150 a pop and it’s at least a 1 hour traffic jam drive away after coughing out ~$30 in tolls…

Moved to Westchester a few months ago after selling our apartment in UWS…the prices are much more reasonable here at $500-600 a foot but the houses are usually around 5000 SF and up with half acre to an acre lot. Of course depends on where in Westchester but you get the point…45 min train ride away to mid town - grand central…not bad if you ask me…

I moved from Upper East side to the West Side. Nice view of the Hudson.

you must be right by the Henry Hudson highway with the view of the Hudson? Those apartments used to have Trump sign all over but recently took it all down…Is it all down or just some? Not owned by Trump of course…

Yes, all true. Westchester prices are relatively cheap compared to SF and LA suburbs. Although, I think the tax rates are significantly higher in NY. The 5,000 square foot house would likely have taxes of 70k (ballpark 3% taxes rate using $500 per square foot).

what? dude there are PLENTY of very nice condos available in the UES, UWS, Midtown, Village, Chelsea that can be had for <2000/foot. Are there ones that are way higher sure but ive literally walked into luxury buildings with a 1200sf 2br that range from 1100-1700/sf. Those 3000-6000sf are the super luxury buildings that likely sell to BSDs but you can get incredible places for way less that are new.

yes, i agree…i was writing in general terms…of course UWS in the 90th street range near 10th Ave go for under 3k a foot for brand new or regutted remodeled building…my UWS is biased in the 59 to 70th near central park west - view of the park. 15CPW 2 beds can be had for a cool 9k a foot…the range is wildly wide…

Using 15 CPW as a benchmark isn’t speaking in generalities, you’re literally picking the most expensive building in all of NYC.

didn’t use it as a benchmark…it was mere an example of the upper bound - 9k a foot - which I didn’t use to state that in general NYC apartments range around 3k a foot given it is in a decent - somewhat new, laundry in unit, 2 bed, away from tourists - building and neighborhood.

Yes, it’s like comparing a beachfront property with a house two blocks off the water.

Plenty of nice apts in UES, EWS, and the villages for under $2k a sqft (even $1.5k).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Upper-East-Side-Manhattan-New-York-NY/244785240_zpid/270957_rid/1000000-3050000_price/3920-11955_mp/40.775443,-73.954967,40.769715,-73.963271_rect/16_zm/

yeah but my original comment precisely said yeah you can get apartments for under 2k a foot if it’s prewar and/or shared laundry…The listing above while it is nice…it’s prewar and shared laundry and co-op…to each his own but co-op is something i’d avoid…

2-3k probably right for condos… I’ve been house hunting recently and settled on a condo in Long Island City instead. Coops are stupid, high fee and very little upside potential. Condos are generally way more expensive than your average coop in the city.

These prices are absolutely crazy. Suburbs aren’t much cheaper and the commute is a killer.

^Not if you work in the same suburb.

True. But it is uncommon in tri-state area. Most commute to Manhattan