NYC vs SF

After owning a house in the suburbs, I’m never owning a house again, long commute, high taxes and after paying commute fees a condo in the city with 15 year tax abatement is much better. Don’t really see the appeal of suburbs unless you are just there for your kids.

Oh I am with you. It’s not only the cost, I am just not a suburbs person. I need to be able to go outside and instantaneously be surrounded by people. Walk everywhere etc. That might make me a lifetime renter but whatever…

you know my wife and I would never imagined that we would say this but we actually like the suburban life…We really enjoyed our time in the city but now we have a LO…I want him to run around the yard like a maniac just like I did growing up…But yeah i can see why some big shots have a house in westchester and an apartment in the city…For me, I wanted a piece of land…my land…my own car garage…my own gym in the basement. But then again, if I win the lottery, I wouldn’t mind moving to northern VT so maybe city life aint for me.

My wife did enjoy the suburbs…but she hated the commute more as she’s not an early bird like I am. Goal is to make that FU money in the future and have apartments in the city and a big old property in the suburbs…

that is my goal…but i feel like if i had the money for an apartment in the city while living in scarsdale, i might just buy a house up in vermont near jay peak or killington…meh whatever not there yet haha…

how do you like LI city? They’ve got some nice places there…whole neighborhood looks so different from when i first came out to nyc from CA. probably going to change even more for the better

The commute is amazing, two stops to midtown and central park. It’s definitely going to change drastically, the water front view is awesome from the parks there.

done a lot of research on LIC - the bulk of new supply coming online is rental (but there is a TON coming online over the next 5 years and plenty more planned for both rental & condo) so condos will hold value for at least a while as investors stay away due to leasing pricing pressure. Not a great area for a rental property - but for living its def up and coming in a sense. They def need to build it out and make it more neighborhood-y although astoria is right next door and is possibly my favorite part of the city. Commute to midtown is great and for what you can get an average 2br in chelsea you can get a penthouse in LIC

IMO the waterfront aspect sucks (aside from the nice view) as you essentially limit yourself to 1 subway line within a 20 minute walk or so. the value seems to be around queensboro plaza/queens plaza since you have access to the N/W/R/7/E/M/F. Pricing seems to follow this path as the buildings on the water are pretty old and crappy too - court square probably has the most “neighborhood” feel to it of the area though

oh completely agree, my condo is two blocks from the trains. Was just citing the parks as a nice amenity since it’s close enough for a walk or drive.

Brahs, do financial services firms in NYC actually do drug testing on employees? From my experience, that kind of thing is unheard of in Cali. Asking for a friend

This. I’ve been searching around for a decent condo in the city and they are really tough to find. Mostly just annoying co-ops with high fees. A co-op that costs $700K can have monthly costs that put it on par with a condo that costs +$1M. Of course most “affordable” Manhattan condos are in soul-less places like FiDi.

Admittedly, I’m also just “cheap” and I can’t stand the idea of paying around $1M for a 1BR. It’s maddening. As someone else said, LA presents such better value (housing and quality of life), especially if you don’t have to commute far. I can find something in West LA far more interesting and cheaper than anything in NYC; I’ve been tempted multiple times to just move.

Back to the topic at hand: SF vs. NYC. As others have said, NYC just has so much going on (food, nightlife, museums, events, etc…) at all hours of the day. You want to club from 11PM to 11AM, it can be done. SF definitely has stuff going on, but if you’ve lived in NYC you’ll be disappointed there isn’t more to do (only club I know that stays open late is Public Works). The trade-off, in my view, is the outdoor aspect. I feel this probably is more attractive when you settle down a bit. I also found NYC to have a lot more diversity in terms of people’s backgrounds. Very important if you’re single, girls in NYC are way hotter.

SF rents are comparable to NYC, but I’ve found you get a little more space in SF. Transportation sucks in SF compared to NYC, unless you happen to live close to a Bart station. The Muni is just the worst; you’ll get places faster if you sawed off your legs and crawled around blindfolded.

yes - a piss test before you start then never again imo

yep my buddy in citi and jpm had to take a piss test both cali.

but you can buy clean piss nowadays. lol