NYU Part-time mba

How is the NYU part time MBA viewed on the street? I hear that part timers get shafted in the recruiting process with the school however, I feel it doesnt make any difference as on the resume it would just say Mba from stern.

Do you like being a second class citizen? Don’t be fooled.

I know a guy who did the part time MBA at NYU. He said exactly what you said…the recruiting process for the part time students leaves a lot to be desired.

I know a guy in the program now. He is really pissed. He F-ing hates the full timers.

Is this common in all schools? Full-time > part-time?

I screened a number of part-time (and full-time) NYU MBA students. The quality of the candidates was definitely a mixed bag, with part-time MBA students faring worse than full-time MBA students. I don’t know that much about the Stern MBA program but I began to wonder recently whether MBA admissions for that school is at all similar to what it’s like for their dental program, i.e. as long as you have decent qualifications as well as the ability to pay, the school will take you as long as their classes aren’t utterly and outrageously huge… Can anyone comment on this?

Well, i myself currently pondering if i should apply to NYU Stern. I mean, there is no other way to go for a recently married man who has bills to pay, and it is sad that part-time program is by far not as selective as full-time

CLDutcher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know a guy who did the part time MBA at NYU. He > said exactly what you said…the recruiting > process for the part time students leaves a lot to > be desired. I don’t really get this. The part-timers already have a job (and often their employers are paying tuition). So how can they expect to intern somewhere for the summer? Do they then go back to their original job after their internship?

PT MBA makes sense if you can see it playing into a promotion through your current job, and possibly using the network for a new job further down the road. If you BS your way through your goals essay and don’t present them with your actual plan, don’t expect them to come up with a new one for you. They aren’t trying to cater to the “I don’t want to go FT because I don’t want to keep making money” crowd. They’ll let you in, but don’t expect the FT program. elparko, for top-10 schools, FT is significantly better than PT. Education may be the same, but don’t kid yourself, textbooks are only a fraction of the reason you goto b-school. Also, the "it still says NYU on your resume"reasoning isn’t exactly true, because: 1) unless you don’t list your experience during your PT MBA (absurd), then it will be clear, based on your work experience, that you were going part time. 2) you will go through different recruiting channels for the FT and the PT program. Whoever is reading your resume will know where they got it from. Maybe this is what people are complaining about, but it’s not like NYU leads you on and makes it seem like this isn’t the case before you start. This is why their main focus in the app process is on your goals essay and your “why part-time” essay. If you BS these, and don’t really have a good reason to go PT over FT, it will come back to bite you.

Man, it sucks that there is a tradition of paying six figures opportunity cost and two years for associate level job opportunities.

Keep in mind that not all PT programs are created equal. There is a lot more satisfaction with the programs at UCLA and USC (and many others) than the one at NYU. Part of the reason for this is that these programs provide better career services and more cross pollination with the FT program.

naturallight Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t really get this. The part-timers already > have a job (and often their employers are paying > tuition). So how can they expect to intern > somewhere for the summer? Do they then go back to > their original job after their internship? He’s still with the same company today (I used to work there as well but have since left) Not too many people are/were happy there. From what he said, he was hoping that he might find some better opportunities through the program. Didn’t really happen, obviously.

I sat in on some of their Part time MBA classes and did not feel it was worth the cost. It seems you pay for the grade. They kept access to the career development for your life if you go to NYU. Like having access to connected alumni is the reason to pay 100k… On a sidenote: I know of a professor on the admission committee who’s prejudiced against people who don’t live in Manhattan. He looks at you as a second class citizen if you live in Long Island or Brooklyn, never mind that he is from Canada and his family lives at a subsidized rent in Manhattan(NYU Housing). The fact he’s employed by the university is reason enough to look elsewhere.

I think that Stern is a very good school and most full-time MBA classes are great. Unfortunately, I cannot say much about the PT program but it is the best in the country.

What if you’re happy with your job and feel like you’ll need an MBA 5-10 years down the line in order to be better off (raising money as a PM, you’ll get in a lot more doors if you’re CFA/MBA than if you have only one or none). All too often, people look at the CFA and MBA as merely stepping stones to a better career or a switch. Would I want to hire someone who was looking at the job as merely a two-year stint on the way to a better career? Maybe, depending on how much value they add; but at the end of the day, I want someone who is there because they truly want to be there…

Aikacfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think that Stern is a very good school and most > full-time MBA classes are great. Unfortunately, I > cannot say much about the PT program but it is the > best in the country. It’s the best in NY. UCLA FEMBA is widely considered to be better.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Aikacfa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think that Stern is a very good school and > most > > full-time MBA classes are great. Unfortunately, > I > > cannot say much about the PT program but it is > the > > best in the country. > > It’s the best in NY. UCLA FEMBA is widely > considered to be better. USNews.com Business Specialties: Part-Time M.B.A. New! Ranked in 2007* 1. New York University (Stern) 2. University of Chicago 3. Northwestern University (Kellogg) (IL)

Everyone I’ve spoken with who has done the UCLA program raves about it. That is not the case at NYU. USC also gets high grades. I know several people who have done the program at USC with good results.

I am in the MS in Real Estate program at NYU. Joined a semester ago and have to say that i am sorely disappointed. I have a bachelors with a 3.8 gpa, 690 GMAT (could have broken a 700 with a little more effort) and 4 years of exp in the industry with great recommendations. I could have chooses Johns Hopkins but choose NYU cause of location. Its seems that the MS in RE program along with the PT MBA program are the redheaded step brothers of the FT NYU program. The stern school told me that courses between THEIR OWN PROGRAMS are not transferable. That means that if you take accounting for Fin statement analysis for an MS program in midtown campus or the PT MBA program, you cant apply that to the FT MBA program or any other. Same restriction on mobility applies between PT and FT Stern students. Here are my 2 biggest problems with the MS program and in my interaction with NYU admin; 1-advisers & Staff: Advisers have ZERO people skills. Most are uncaring anal retentive folks who want to follow the book by the letter and are simply incapable of interacting with Type A personalities commonly found in the upper echelons NYC Finance. 2-The students body: The need to better screen who gets in to the PT and MS programs. It seems like life experience and a good reco is enough. Some of my classmates are painfully slow. Hey i am not brainy and need to work to GET material but some 40+ students slow the pace down cause they are either slow or simple don’t have the experience. I am actually looking to see if my courses withh transfer over to another school and bounce. NYU seems at this points to me to care deeply about its core competencies i.e. FT MBA and neglect other programs letting in whoever has the ability to pay. I am actually looking to transfer out as of now to another school.