NYU-stern graduate - CFAI

Hello people, I recently graduated with a Masters of Science in Finance from NYU-Stern. I have all my securities licenses. Just landed a new gig, pretty hectic at work and have about three months to get ready for the CFAI. Any tips on preparing for this exam? Does anyone have the audio version of the level 1 that I can purchase from? Looking forward to hear some good tips =) Best, Yen

level I? You just need the notes and that should be sufficient for you to pass given your background.

Really just the notes? I am more concern about the volume than anything else. Thanks for your comment =)

I’m undergrad finance from Stern & L3 candidate. Everything in L1 (except ethics) is a repeat of what I learned already. It should not be remotely difficult for any Stern grad. I recommend Schweser books, they are half the length and will be more than enough, since all you really need is a quick condensed review of the critical points.

Just want to warn you that don’t underestimate the exam. I do believe that it’s doable based on your background, but if I were you, I will still try to spend at least 100 hours (read Schweser books, do some practice exams, and CFA mock exam) and read Ethics book just in case. I did finance for undergrad (09) and am a level 3 candidate. Although I already learned most of them in my classes, I still had to memorize and learn some of basic stuffs (calculating outstanding shares and basic statistics). Also given the low passing rate last December exam (39%), you really don’t want to be in 61%. Of course, it can be higher or even lower this year. Good luck!

If you can, get Qbank by Schweser. It really helps for level 1, besides you can do it during small pauses at work online. One question 1or 1.5 min, a couple of questions per hour will not distract you too much from work

You guys are so helpful! =) @iteracom, the materials are similar to the graduate studies that I did at Stern, but I was in the professional program so it was projects and lots of practical modules. @dhyun3 I am going to have a hard time memorizing basics stuffs. especially the ethics do you know anyone who use the audio notes?? I am going to do a lot of Qbank questions, hehe thanks for the tips!! Good time management! Best, Yen

I was thinking knowing the basic stuff is just like making it part of your natural instinct - just like if anyone asks you about CAPM, you should tell them right away - it is almost unforgiven if you have to go back to the books for answers.

I strongly recommend Schweser + QBank, particularly if time is a constraint. Good luck.

MissYen88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I recently graduated with a Masters of Science in > Finance from NYU-Stern. I have all my securities > licenses. Just landed a new gig, pretty hectic at > work and have about three months to get ready for > the CFAI. Any tips on preparing for this exam? Hi Yen, why are you getting your CFA? The program is roughly equivalent to a Master’s in Finance, which you already have. Unless your employer is forcing you to do it, I’d recommend concentrating your efforts elsewhere.

no, I don’t have the audio notes. You probably don’t need it anyway…

You don’t need the audio notes. I got a MS Finance and did LI in about 100 hours using Stalla. Justin is right that there is some overlap - if you’re already in a strong entry-level position I’d consider an MBA, but if you’re trying to break in I’d do CFA exams (that’s the route I’ve gone, and particularly after passing LII I’ve seen a noticable uptick in the number of interviews I’ve gotten). For the cost to play, I’d do LI in December (you should be in good shape if you hit ethics and have a good base for FSA/and asset analysis such as derivatives/FI/corp finance).

Jcole21, can I have your email address or drop me a line at dhyun4 @ gmail.com? I have a few questions. Thanks!

dhyun3 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jcole21, can I have your email address or drop me > a line at dhyun4 @ gmail.com? I have a few > questions. Thanks! Email sent.

Hi Justin88 =) I thought since I have the background, I might as well get chartered, but yes my company wants me to.

Hi Justin88 =) I thought since I have the background, I might as well get chartered, but yes my company wants me to.

We didn’t cover financial reporting in our program at Stern, I have to hit the books for that. Thanks you all, so helpful! I am so glad I got on this site to ask questions. Some guy said to me, NYU-Stern didn’t cover forum etiquette because I didn’t have any. All because I post my question for advice in level 2. Am I wrong for that? I thought I just post it out there and whoever wants to give me advice then I am thankful if not then no need to be mean. Thanks you all!

Your question involves L1 or General Discussion, you shouldn’t flood the other forums with the same exact post. That’s why people will think it is rude. I’m disappointed the masters program at Stern doesn’t cover financial reporting. That’s kind of sad.

dude, if you did halfway decent in the M.S. program you should mutilate level 1. it’s all about time management, read through the notes, retain the info and you’ll be fine. I took 1/2 a practice test the day before level I and did the same for level II, I passed both (dec then june) My best tip is to forget about ethics till the day before the exam then read the whole section slowly, cover to cover. You’ll pass that part with flying colors (I did). (I have an M.A. in econ)

Sterns offers a MSF? Is this the Hong Kong joint program or the MSF combined with MBA?