OAS

Can somebody please give a clear ruling decision for OAS spread relative to Treasury, Sector, and Issuer specific benchmark when OAS < 0, > 0, and = 0 . Thanks in advance. Anish

What question are you asking here?

Wow. I dont know what you’re asking either, but just remember you want a high OAS and low option cost. I wish I could give you more but…

The fig is on pg 73, book 5, schweser… it says if “OAS > 0” , the security is rich as compared to Treasury if actual < required; Cheap if actual > required. Similar for Sector!! and then it says if “OAS < 0” , the security is rich as compared to Treasury… which one is it? or there is a condition when OAS > 0 ?? Thanks

Absolutely. If OAS(actual) < 0, then OAS(actual) < OAS(required), so it is expensive. What is problematic here?

i think he’s referring to the super confusing table in the schweser text. it basically says, if the OAS < 0, then the stock is overpriced A positive OAS on the other hand can be considered undervalued or overvalued depending on whether the comparative benchmark OAS is higher or lower

You should read it in the CFAI books, makes it much clearer, and I do think OAS is an important concept to fully grasp for the exam as I’m sure it will convert into an easy couple points somewhere. I knew I was weak in fixed income so I reread the LI material on OAS and Z spreads and then read the LII material and it cleared that there material right up.

anishcandy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The fig is on pg 73, book 5, schweser… > > it says if “OAS > 0” , the security is rich as > compared to Treasury if actual < required; Cheap > if actual > required. Similar for Sector!! > > and then it says if “OAS < 0” , the security is > rich as compared to Treasury… > > which one is it? or there is a condition when OAS > > 0 ?? > > Thanks rich means overpriced … probably the terminology is confusing …

Thank you all. I got the point.

mumukada Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think he’s referring to the super confusing > table in the schweser text. > > it basically says, if the OAS < 0, then the stock > is overpriced > > A positive OAS on the other hand can be considered > undervalued or overvalued depending on whether the > comparative benchmark OAS is higher or lower This helped.Thanks Edit: So if OAS is positive and less than the benchmark OAS then the security is overpriced(rich)? correct?