Objective for multiple choice sample exams

What mark are you guys gunning for when you do the multiple choice section of the sample exams? With all this talk that the AM section is a killer and that you have to have a great afternoon session, I’m gunning for 75%. I did my first Schweser exam, and got 68%. have to admit, it was a humbling experience. I don’t think 68% in the MC on the exam is enough to pass this beast.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did my first Schweser exam, and got 68%. have > to admit, it was a humbling experience. I don’t > think 68% in the MC on the exam is enough to pass > this beast. Nonsense. As long as you don’t bomb out in the morning a 68 is a fine score.

68 on schweser has to be at least 75 on the cfa exam.

oskigo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 68 on schweser has to be at least 75 on the cfa > exam. On the first pages of Schweser book 6, they say to adjust your score downward by 10 to 15 percentage points due to the relaxed conditions that most candidates apply when they take these tests.

schweser just tries to freak you out so you keep studying - get their average up - - like the cfa sample freebie that said something along the lines like " obviously you’ve prepared well but you horribly failed some areas and need to buy all add’l exams" 70s on schweser is easily a pass on the test - - question mark is the morning

I think all our biggest fears is teh morning…

Am I the only one who just does the questions and claps internally if I get stuff right and figures out why I don’t know something or got it wrong and moves on? I have never once tallied a score on the practice exams…if you do well, may instill false confidence, do poorly, may freak you out and blow any confidence you may have had 3 hours ago one man’s opinion (so far so good with this approach by the way)

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > On the first pages of Schweser book 6, they say to > adjust your score downward by 10 to 15 percentage > points due to the relaxed conditions that most > candidates apply when they take these tests. which i think is complete bs. what they are trying to stop is the “i scored 70% on your tests and i failed” complaints. some people choke, but most of us have been in enough test situations that i very much doubt that you are going to score that poorly compared to exams that are definetly much much harder than the real thing. for instance i don’t think i got over 70% in a one of the six schweser exams (many i scored in the high 50s and low 60s) i took for level 2 and by my scores it appears I passed easily (i.e. over 70 in all but 2 topics).

Their reasoning is “Exam day stress” I think I am the opposite, at home I wing it, on test day I hammer it out. 15% THIS SCHWESER!!! MGG

Mr.Good.Guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Their reasoning is “Exam day stress” I think I am > the opposite, at home I wing it, on test day I > hammer it out. > > 15% THIS SCHWESER!!! > > MGG i’m the same way. i also don’t bother reading the 10 pages of useless text in the schweser exams which occasionally results in a missed question.

I think you focus more too on the tests then on practice b/c practice you know its not going to matter, but with the real thing you know you better understand EXACTLY what they are asking.

you put your game face. Like the Pens finally did tonight…woo hoo!!! Just as I typed this the wings scored…I’m a jinx…

well after a 68% on exam 1 (41/60), i pull a 85% (51/60) on exam 2. i don’t know if that exam was easier or just asked questions on $hit i knew, but i needed this confidence boost. doing exam 3 tomorrow, the cfai 2005-2007 on the weekend and free sample exam 1 monday.

^job well done lad

I think I get way more stressed out doing these Schweser practice exams than I do for the real thing. The ridiculous verbal spewing in these questions is borderline maddening. I think I said something to the contrary a few days back, but after doing Book 1 now I rescind. The way they write the questions make it very hard to keep your concentration. I think bigwilly is correct in that it will be much easier to remain focused on the real deal because you will know what they are asking (at least that’s my feeling from the first two levels). Anyways, my progression is decent so far. 58 on the first which I wrote a week or more ago, 65 on 2 yesterday and 70 on 3 today. That 70 is a total fluke though. I had to outright guess on 11 questions and I nailed 7 of them. Once again this year I am freaking horrible on derivatives. Last year I fluked out on the exam in that section. Karma says I better do some touch up in that area.

I am doing my first Schweser practice exam (#1, Vol 1) now. I went 2/6 on the second ethics set. I am both pi55ed and nervous. the answer to 17.5 is wrong, right? Surplus at risk, if it is analogous to value at risk, should only define a deficit, not a reduction in the surplus. If Schweser’s answer is accurate, then it must be true that… If I expect to earn, say, $10,000 on an investment next year, and have a 5% VaR of $10,000, then there is a 5% chance of me ending up with an outcome of zero or less. I don’t think this is true(?). My understanding is that VaR is actually telling you the minimum amount you can expect to LOSE. Thus, in effect, a $10,000 VaR is saying your investment has a 5% chance of falling (in this case) $20,000 below expectations. So, if my reasoning is correct, Schweser is wrong by tautology. Anyone enlighten me?

^^ oh, and I am shooting for 80. My first Schweser looks like a 70-75 at the current run-rate. I am thinking that Schweser’s claim you should knock 10-15% off because you went to the fridge to get a snack is complete BS (I have dubbed this the “refrigerator effect”). Otherwise, I’ll just have a snack during the exam and get my 10-15% back!