One Year MBA program

There are many places like Kellog, Cornell, USC offer one year MBA program. How is the repuation of these programs compared to 2-year?

If you want to do it, you might just as well go for the two-year program right now. That’s my spontaneous comment.

Because you think the market will be down for two more years?

I’m most familar with Columbia’s accelerated program and it’s exactly like the traditional MBA program except that you start in January, finish up your first year classes in the summer, and are fully integrated with the September starts by the fall term of the second year. I think most of these programs are appropriate if you already have decent work experience and aren’t looking to change careers, ie- if you are currently in IT, engineering, or perhaps even BO FS, these programs aren’t necessarily a good fit because you’ll need the internship from a traditional MBA program.

I ran through a one year MBA program and enjoyed the experience. We started in May and ran every day for the summer for four hours of class and then usually eight hours of outside work. The summer was tough, but it got us through the core curriculum classes. Then in the fall we took a heavier class load relative to the two year students. Almost everyone in our group has prior work and business experience, so this made it more manageable and the classes more meaningful. I choose to do it this way because the tuition expense was much cheaper than the two year program. However, as soma80, said this may not be the best route for a career changer. You miss the chance to do a summer internship, which for certain careers can almost be an imperative. Also if the group you go through with doesn’t have broad experiences and a good work ethic, the program can be a big let down. A friend went through a similar program, but he had mostly folks coming from undergrad and now he wishes he had done the two year. Good luck.

Forgot; one other issue to check with the one year programs is: some of them run the one year group separate from the traditional MBA students. I would avoid this if possible because it reduces your exposure to other students and the chance to work with varying teams. Also, in terms of employers I haven’t heard of any issues with them being concerned that the MBA was only one year. None of my compatriots from the program have had trouble with this and one of my bosses at a VC company was actually impressed that I cranked through a MBA degree in only a year. Of course this may not be the norm though.

there are requirements that one needs to get accepted into the 1 year programs. kellogg’s requirement is accounting/biz undergraduate. cornell’s is only for engineers with an advanced degree. columbia …i forgot.

My girlfriend got MFE and worked in quant development. She obsolutely hate it and want to be in soft finance – corporate finance/treasury type. IS one year MBA a good choice for her? Because she has already spent so much money and time on MFE, two year might be too much a time and money commitment.

Insead.

Stupid - Sounds like your girlfriend has the academic background to undertake an one year MBA program. The only question that I would throw out there would be the “life” experience to take on a one year program. My experience with a one year program was the people who had a wider experience prior to the program got a whole lot more out of it. Plus from hiring rates on completion that broad experience appeared to be well rewarded. That said the experience base issue is probably similar between 12 and 24 month programs, but my feeling is since the 12 month program is much more condensed the experience helps leverage it better. My point of view anyway

stupid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My girlfriend got MFE and worked in quant > development. She obsolutely hate it and want to be > in soft finance – corporate finance/treasury > type. IS one year MBA a good choice for her? > Because she has already spent so much money and > time on MFE, two year might be too much a time and > money commitment. http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/academic/accelerated/

Is there anyway to switch to equity researh /corporate finance with MFE + CFA only?