Online MSF programs?

The program offers exam sittings in I believe September so that makes it a little different. You take the course and then have to waite until September to write the final exam. They are different in that there are 5 session not 3 semesters so you could take one course each session. You can print out some sample course material it is acutally pretty well put together.

for the CFA track Creighton is great! All professors have the CFA charter. I have been in the program 3 years and can attribute level 1 and 2 and hopefully 3 to Crieghton’s MSF.

mpnoonan: How is Creighton ranked for grad business? What is the typical length of the online MSF part-time?

“does anyone know how online programs fair against traditional campus programs? There are several cases where schools that have top 30 or 40 MBA or Master’s programs also have an online program (examples off the top of my head - ASU, Texas A&M, WPI) however I cannot find any ranking of online programs. How do these programs look to future employers? Bogus?” I guess it partially depends on whether or not the verbiage of “Online” appears anywhere on the degree or transcript. If it doesn’t, then an employer wouldn’t be any wiser. The exception would be something like Univ. of Phoenix, where everyone has seen or heard their advertising for online programs.

well, if im working on the east coast… and i get my degree from the west coast or even just a few states away… at the same time im working full time… im pretty sure theyd figure it out… but i do see your point about the degree saying “online”… im guessing if the school doesnt make any distinction at least, its probably comparable to the campus program

From what I’ve seen, most programs don’t have the degree say anything related to “online”. I checked with IU Kelley, and its the same degree as if you did it on campus. But, IheartMath brings up a good point… if I’m in CT and I get a MSF from IU while working full time, it’s not hard to figure out that I did it online. I’m still trying to figure out if it’s worth doing a MSF online, or if I’m better off going to a lower ranked school and doing it on campus.

flynnch , For the University of London MS Finance Quan, I’m confused. It’s a 3 yr program so the cost is about 30k?

online + degree = are you f*king kidding me? period.

Mobius: Online degrees have their place. To some it’s inefficient to sit in class every Wed when they could do the coursework during their free time

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > online + degree = are you f*king kidding me? > period. I once thought that to. In doing research i have found a few programs that are internationally respected and have a history of providing quality education. But each to his own. I just don’t want to attend the university that I can see from my house, just not interested in sitting in an evening class with a bunch of management executives.

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > flynnch , > > For the University of London MS Finance Quan, I’m > confused. It’s a 3 yr program so the cost is about > 30k? I have been in discussions with these guys for a few years. Done some research even asked a colleague of mine who grew up in London and a former Prof. Nobody has a bad word to say about the school. http://www.cefims.ac.uk/cgi-bin/programmes.cgi?func=programme&id=42 http://www.cefims.ac.uk/dl_registry/studycalendar2009.html Here is the link to the quant program anbd the calendar for 2009 There are eight courses at 1080 pounds each. http://www.cefims.ac.uk/dl_registry/dl_fees.shtml If you download the regulations it says there that you have a minimum of two years and a maximum of five years to complete the requirements. http://www.cefims.ac.uk/enrolment/CeFiMS_Regs_New_2009.pdf

flynnch Wrote: > I once thought that to. In doing research i have > found a few programs that are internationally > respected and have a history of providing quality > education. But each to his own. I just don’t > want to attend the university that I can see from > my house, just not interested in sitting in an > evening class with a bunch of management > executives. what schools, in your research, have you deemed being respected - regardless that they are online? or is there a website you can direct those of us interested to? thanks!

I talked with admissions at Kelley the other day - they only accept applications for the Fall for the MSF and the deadline for 09 is June 15 or so. I haven’t even looked at anything GMAT related yet, so I’m not sure if I’ll have time by then to apply. Might try the Kaplan classes since my company will pay for em… not sure yet tho. Some MSF programs don’t even require GMAT.

i am sure you can find online programs with some great material put together by smart people and you can learn a lot with self-study and motivation. same goes for some free open courses or just go to a library, pick a good book and read it. but if your goal is not just to learn the stuff, but to make sure that your potential employers or others know you’ve learned it, then you want to add that degree in your resume, and that’s where these programs fall short in my opinion. not much recognition and not so respected, and most have a B-rated feel of pre-packaged microwaveable degree that you pop out of a can and stir only once, then it is ready for your resume. i don’t think we’ve reached a point where an online degree can be free of that stigma of substandardness

IheartMath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > flynnch Wrote: > > > I once thought that to. In doing research i > have > > found a few programs that are internationally > > respected and have a history of providing > quality > > education. But each to his own. I just don’t > > want to attend the university that I can see > from > > my house, just not interested in sitting in an > > evening class with a bunch of management > > executives. > > > what schools, in your research, have you deemed > being respected - regardless that they are online? > or is there a website you can direct those of us > interested to? thanks! I have “deemed” this to be a good choice. http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/ I am always open to comment and interested in thoughtful discussion/opinion. Please note I fully believe that a taught fulltime masters program at a highly ranked school is the number one option. But it depends what your goal is and what your parameters are. I know people who have gotten graduate degrees part time (ie executive MBA’s) or by correspondance from many schools which are not highly rated and the degree has accomplished for them what they require. A new job, a different position, a pay raise. The reality is that outside of the finance world not many people care where you get your degree they only care that you have it. So it depends on your goals. I also know people who have taken the time off work to get their graduate degree nd that work out for them. I really have nobody to impress currently with further designation/degree and therefore my direct concern would be for a quality extension of my education with a masters of recognition that fits into my schedule. I do alot of work/study on my own and I just want it a bit more structured. I believe it is always a good idea to get some kind of recognition for your work although I did not feel this way when I was younger.

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am sure you can find online programs with some > great material put together by smart people and > you can learn a lot with self-study and > motivation. same goes for some free open courses > or just go to a library, pick a good book and read > it. but if your goal is not just to learn the > stuff, but to make sure that your potential > employers or others know you’ve learned it, then > you want to add that degree in your resume, and > that’s where these programs fall short in my > opinion. not much recognition and not so > respected, and most have a B-rated feel of > pre-packaged microwaveable degree that you pop out > of a can and stir only once, then it is ready for > your resume. i don’t think we’ve reached a point > where an online degree can be free of that stigma > of substandardness Agree with most of what you say but not totally as I have seen many get corporate type jobs with these programs. But I am sure a Harvard MBA will always be worth more than any online program

How is an online msf any different from a cfa sans experience?

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How is an online msf any different from a cfa sans > experience? I think that varies by programme . Some tend to be a lot like the CFA i.e very technical and detailed while some have more of a macro view . From what i’ve seen though there is definitely some overlap with the CFAI curriculum .

so can anyone give their opinion on IU’s MSF and/or MBA program? The online versions are supposed to be no different than the campus versions. Taught by the same instructors, and no distinction on your transcript or diploma. Also a top 20 program. I’m seriously considering applying for the spring or next fall to the MSF/MBA dual program. Obviously, this wouldn’t compete with Harvard or Wharton or Kellogg - but I would think this would still be a respectable program to graduate from.

If it’s an online MBA, I would pass…