Only in America

1. Only in America - could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000-a-plate campaign fund-raising event. 2) Only in America - could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when we have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black, while only 12% of the population is black. 3) Only in America - could we have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, head of the Treasury Department, and Charles Rangel, who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes. 4) Only in America - can we have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash. 5) Only in America - would we make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just become American citizens. 6) Only in America - could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country’s Constitution be thought of as “extremists.” 7) Only in America - could you need to present a driver’s license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote. 8) Only in America - could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike). 9) Only in America - could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year for total spending of $7 million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn’t have nearly enough money. 10) Only in America - could the rich people who pay 86% of all income taxes be accused of not paying their “fair share” by people who don’t pay any income taxes at all.

still better than china…remember, in america you get HCBs like Kim K…

You’re smarter than this drivel you’ve posted, CFAvsMBA.

Many other countries have tax cheats in public office. It’s an embarrasment, but it’s not “only in America.”

Many other countries have “Gucci communism” or the like.

The Europeans also fret about equality, privacy, and the like, even while under attack. At least some of them do. The others go and beat the crap out of anyone who looks foreignish.

You can’t talk about who pays all the taxes without also comparing it to who owns all the wealth and income.

only in Brazil…

• 20 politicians caught on camera accepting cash bribes including a few who stuffed tens of thousands of Real into underwear
  • armed gunman hold up a police station and “rescue” a fellow gang member held “hostage”
  • hospital paitents die in fire at hospital that had not been inspected in over 10 years, with fire station 2 blocks away
  • college student fakes own kidnapping as excuse to not turn in final project
  • someone arrested with 10kilos of cocaine at airport escapes police custody because hand cuffs didnt lock, boards plane and is now in europe

ohh yeah, these are all headlines from this week

What’s Gucci communism?

“I’m rich, and I think everyone else should be made rich too (but maybe not quite as rich as me); hey, do you want to go shopping later??”

Massachusetts State Senator Dianne Wilkerson stuffed bribe money down her bra 5 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianne_Wilkerson

I always find amusement when I see americans complaining about their political scandals. I mean, they are often right to complain, but US politicians in general still look like well educated angels by brazilian standards.

Of course, maybe a Russian or Camaronese guy may think Brazil is not actually that corrupt. Everything is relative.

we get what we deserve. it’s not just america. it’s anywhere that enough people can be convinced that the 'dea of ‘self’ is not valid. how can people be convinced to accept the obvious logical, ethical and moral contradictions that you cite? convince them that their own lives hold no value in and of themselves, that the ‘collective good’ is all that matters. if you want an idea of the extent to which the average person values himself, just take a look at the state of art and entertainment. we get what we have decided we deserve. like everything else, it comes down to a deadly philosophy that has been widely accepted.

It’s not only in America, but that doesn’t mean that the problems are not real.

Only in America – educated people who buy into this nonsense.