Opinion: Is the CSC useful for law student?

I’m a first-year law student who is hoping to get some experience in business/financial markets this summer. I have a science background and have had no formal training in finance/investing/etc but plan to work in corporate law. I will be competing for jobs with many students who went to business school, so I’m hoping to level the playing field a bit by doing a course in r/t investing. A friend suggested the Canadian Securities Course (CSC), which seems like it could be a good option. Does anyone have insights as to whether employers take this designation seriously? It’s obviously not the CFA, but do you think this training could help me (a) market myself to employers, and (b) provide training that would allow me to be more financially literate once I’m working in business law?

Thanks in advance!

CS

From an American who knows nothing about it…if it’s similar to the Series 7, then it’s useless. In fact, I think most asset management or equity research shops will look down on it, because it’s essentially a sales license for salesmen.

Best person to ask–the place where you want to work.

Yeah, the CSC is not a designation. It’s just an entry level course which as Greenman indicated, is mostly used as a starting point for a career in security sales. I don’t think it would carry much weight, if anything the only reason why you’d take it is to further your knowledge of the securities industry.