Opportunities in India

Hi Everyone, I am completing my MBA in US in coming weeks, and pursuing CFA L2 in June 08. I am 23 years of age and have about 1.5-2 year of experience in corporate finance- manufacturing firms (4mnth internship+6mnth part time in US) (1yr full time in India). I will be joining a Big4 firm and will work in Valuation practice as an associate. I plan on working for next two years, completing my CFA. I have very little idea on current situation of Business/Equity Valuation in India, and before even considering going back (after 2years) following questions arise in my mind: 1) Starting salary in India (right now $80k+bonus) 2) Value of US CFAI in India 3) Value of a decent US school MBA degree With first question being the most important…lol Please advise on the above if possible. Thanks !!!

How did you complete MBA at age 23? I guess you must go to school real early

Well, I didn’t work thats much before doing MBA (just 1 year), and in India Bachelors is only 3years, so completed everything sooner…

Pro, I hear what you are saying, but I strongly believe that if you are trying to make a similar package in India as you would here in US then you are completely wrong. There are many Indians who have their CFA & MBA from decent institutes who are very well available and are ready to work with one-third of what you are looking for. Don’t even bother. Anish

anishcandy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pro, > > I hear what you are saying, but I strongly believe > that if you are trying to make a similar package > in India as you would here in US then you are > completely wrong. There are many Indians who have > their CFA & MBA from decent institutes who are > very well available and are ready to work with > one-third of what you are looking for. > > Don’t even bother. > > Anish I agree with you Anish, and thanks for the info. However, coming with a US MBA (and by no means Indian MBA is less valuable) and with US experience, one must agree that you get much more exposure. US companies in India would certainly value that part more than the certifications and degrees… please comment… Other than that I do know people with MBA+CFA and 2years of experince making 16lakhs+ p.a.

I know of people (my age) from IIM-A making gazillions!! … They have not yet told me the amount, since they are still in the process of counting the proceeds but soon gonna see them listed on Forbes Young Billionaires.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know of people (my age) from IIM-A making > gazillions!! … They have not yet told me the > amount, since they are still in the process of > counting the proceeds but soon gonna see them > listed on Forbes Young Billionaires. And whats ur age ???

pro84 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh.sundrani Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I know of people (my age) from IIM-A making > > gazillions!! … They have not yet told me the > > amount, since they are still in the process of > > counting the proceeds but soon gonna see them > > listed on Forbes Young Billionaires. > > > And whats ur age ??? 26 and wanna retire already :frowning:

Hi Dinesh, U frm India? wats ur profile?

Originally from India, presently in states.

pro 84- i thought US schools ( masters programmes ) needed you to have atleast 16 yrs of education before being able to apply ( i.e 12 + 4 like in the US ) … Just out of curiosity did you go to a top 20/30 school ?

Rudeboi - Many school acknowledge 3yr degree of Delhi University (India) as equal to 4year degree in US. However, my school is in 40-50 rank in US.

Dinesh - In I-Banking/research ? If u dn mind sharing

pro84 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dinesh - In I-Banking/research ? If u dn mind > sharing yea, In a Top notch I-banking firm in NYC, but all-together in their wrong department (Software Development).

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pro84 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Dinesh - In I-Banking/research ? If u dn mind > > sharing > > yea, In a Top notch I-banking firm in NYC, but > all-together in their wrong department (Software > Development). But r u givin CFA ???

pro84 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh.sundrani Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > pro84 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Dinesh - In I-Banking/research ? If u dn mind > > > sharing > > > > yea, In a Top notch I-banking firm in NYC, but > > all-together in their wrong department > (Software > > Development). > > But r u givin CFA ??? Yes, but wanna persue my MBA from top-10 (US)

Dinesh, ok, thats gud strategy. If u r trying to change careers, MBA in finance + CFA will give you enough momentum !!! Rest all depends on your sales pitch (which is utmost in everything you do in US). When did you come to US?

dinesh.sundrani@gmail.com

Dinesh & Pro: I have B.com from Punjab university, 2+ years of accounting experience in decent manhattan firms. Level II candidate, and so planning to take GMAT (hopefully Dinesh won’t bid out :wink: ) … What are the chances I will get the same package as I am earing now in India?? umm… 0 to 20% considering the currency exchange rate and the amount of monthly expenses in India, I would probably end up saving almost the same (save much less in US after taxes & stuff). Peace of mind: Umm… too much ‘kich kich’… log hi nahi jeene dete hain yaar!! comment Anish Sharma

I still haven’t got my answer… Maybe it depends as Indian Market is not yet mature to give out salary numbers !!!