Ops making 85K plus..... how common is it?

hobbes928 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NYC Metro people have to buy homes, cars, gas, > insurances, and parking fees too. Home insurance > for a standard 50x100 lot with a shack can go for > +10k in bergen county NJ, right on the other side > of the river from Manhattan. Insurance for a > crappy car covering only the basic liabilities can > go for +$1,200/year for someone in the age bracket > of 21-30. I’d imagine those 1-5 million dollar > homes in Houston would have a multiple premium of > at least 5x here. hmm…$1200 / year is dirt cheap … in toronto I started with $300/month for basic coverage for a crappy car… in the first year itself I paid my insurance co. more than what I paid for the car…

$1,200/yr in NJ, yeah right…maybe if you own a house and have the home owner’s insurance through the same insurance compnay. $1,200 might only get your basic with $1000 deductible. I was paying over $3K /year when I lived in NJ.

bigwilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > $1,200/yr in NJ, yeah right…maybe if you own a > house and have the home owner’s insurance through > the same insurance compnay. $1,200 might only get > your basic with $1000 deductible. I was paying > over $3K /year when I lived in NJ. That’s how much I’m paying now, ~$1200, living in bergen county. Car is 7 yrs old and I have the most basic insurance with liability only.

you guys get killed on auto insurance. I pay 1800 for full coverage on a 2006 G35 and am 24.

NJ car insurance has come down in price considerably over the last 3-4 years. Once companies such as Geico were allowed to insure in NJ, the majors (Allstate, State Farm,etc.) had to become more competitive in their pricing.

cart10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > my upper east side (NY) apartment is $3,000/mth > … That is awesome…That is more than the payment on my 1500 sq ft condo in DT Austin plus the payment on my boat and my Porsche combined. Why would anyone ever want to live in NYC?

finance wise NYC offers a lot of talent… you have to play where some of the larger players are… not to say you can not do well in other places.

The way I look at it is that I could move to NYC and probably earn 50% more, especially if I were to bounce between employers a lot. The downside: earning 50% more in NYC wouldn’t result in a better quality of life (would have to either live in a small condo or move waaay outside the city to find a non-disgusting house). And I’d have to work a lot more hours for the privilege. Maybe at some point I’d start earning enough to have made it worthwhile, but not for a long time. Unfortunately, if I ever decide to leave my current employer, NYC looks like a pretty likely scenario…

If I ever decide to leave my current firm I may have to move to a larger financial market like NYC…But given I’m a partner I can’t see myself leaving anytime soon.

ra why would you? sounds like a solid dig

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cart10 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > my upper east side (NY) apartment is $3,000/mth > > … > > > That is awesome…That is more than the payment on > my 1500 sq ft condo in DT Austin plus the payment > on my boat and my Porsche combined. > > Why would anyone ever want to live in NYC? If you’re young, it’s 1 of 2 cities that’s open 24 hours a day to fuel your debaunchery.