our HR sent me this - for internal move...

Hi chaucy1999, Thank you for your interest in IMD. I took a look at your resume and the roles you applied for and unfortunately they are not a match for your background and skill set. Most openings in IMD require a very specific skill set (product knowledge, clients, etc.) so it will be a difficult transition to make without any direct IMD experience. We will definitely keep you in mind if we need someone at your level with a technology background. – IMD = Investment Management Division. I was pretty upset as she just filtered me out w/o even checking with the hiring teams… In my response (I feel I have to say something even though I know she won’t reply), I said, “I am surprised that, as a CFA charterholder, I am not being recognized as a person who possesses product knowledge and portfolio management skill set. I thought the fact that I am able to succeed in a technical role while being awarded the charter demonstrates that the transition should be smooth as well - I earned my VP title while studying for the program.” Anyway, it sucks but I have to move on …

Sorry to hear that… Moving to a job is more about relationships than what you know. The same thing has happened to me. Continue to doing what you are doing…it is your company’s loss.

Agreed - CFA goes as far as getting you to the gate, but you need someone to open it.

“We will definitely keep you in mind if we need someone at your level with a technology background.” Tech Background…its time to start applying to B-School baby

Old Lehman, new Barclay’s wealth?

swaptiongamma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Old Lehman, new Barclay’s wealth? Huh?

I am just curious about your job. You have the charter so you must have the relevant experience. How did you manage to get the charter with a technical role?

I would ask HR to offer some guidance as what they feel would be an appropriate path for you to take within the firm to get to that point that they would consider you for this type of position. Either that or look outside for a better opportunity.

cfa_xyz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am just curious about your job. You have the > charter so you must have the relevant experience. > How did you manage to get the charter with a > technical role? You sound like our HR. :slight_smile: There are many different technical roles. As the postion gets more senior, depending on how strong you are, the impact you have on the business gets stronger too.

chaucy1999, without knowing additional facts and circumstances about your situation, my initial impression is that, like so many HR departments, you might have received an all too common form e-mail and the HR rep who responded to your inquiry may not understand a darn thing you do, your cumulative experience or even (yes crazy as it sounds) the fair value worth of the CFA charter even though it appears that you work for a financial services company. From my personal experience (I happen to be personal friends with our director of HR), HR is way too preoccupied to help you find your way for instance into IMD. As mentioned earlier, start networking and developing relationships with folks in that group; it might be your best bet to open a door or two eventually if opportunity potentially knocks.

Yeah, do you work at Lehman Brothers/Barclays/Neuberger Berman?

Sounds like Goldman to me…

The IMD division of LEH was taken by Barclay’s Wealth and they all moved to 200 Park Ave (The Metlife Building)

I think every bank has IMD…it’s pretty generic no? Goldman and old Lehman def. do.