Overqualified

recently interviewed a internal position. Was told the hiring manager thinking I am overqualified, will be bored with the stuff, something like that. I know mostly likely an excuse, but still feel a little sad about it. Actually I am also doing boring stuff, that is why I want to transfer.

Sorry to hear about it. If it makes you feel better, I would much rather hear that I am overqualified for a position than underqualified. At least you still have a job now to help pay the bills until more positions open up.

“Overqualified” may mean you have lots of qualifications, but it does mean you need to be applying for jobs further up the ladder. You’re more likely to find someone who is willing to give you a chance even though you might not be experienced enough than to find someone who will hire you knowing that you’re overqualified. If you are overqualified, then you may want to target rapidly growing companies (yeah, like there are lots of them now, but there will be soon enough). These are places where you can get your feet on the ground, and they may want someone with extra qualifications because of anticipated growth and therefore the need for them in short order.

I just think in this market, how could overqualify makes senese. Since I have heard enough cases of well experienced guys competing for lower positions. Actually the title of the role I am applying sort of sound same level with my current role. So I figured it was a lateral move. I lost my motivation for my current job after 2 years and just trying to do something different.

My wife is an in-house recruiter and she avoids overqualified people like the plaque. From her point of view, you will be always looking for a better position and once you get it, you will be gone.

mark@dirtbags Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My wife is an in-house recruiter and she avoids > overqualified people like the plaque. > > From her point of view, you will be always looking > for a better position and once you get it, you > will be gone. Maybe you are right. I should not have polished my resume. Maybe should have trim a few years of experience.

^ No, you should aim at another kind of job where you’re rightly qualified. But if you have more than 10 years of working experience you might trim it down to ten years, since the earlier jobs are (or can be argued to be) irrelevant.

I too was interviewing for some office staff and you should see the people who applied, MBA’s etc. What can you do? You know they are overqualified and you know they will be gone as soon as something else comes along. You can never be sure…