Oversold LinkedIn Profiles

If you ever move past CFA L1, become a manager, and do the hiring, feel free to judge candidates however you want.

Van delay are you autistic?

I dont accept endorsements from anyone on my linkedin page. Too often I see perfectly good linkedin profiles ruined by endorsements riddled with grammatical, spelling, and factual errors. In fact, if I see an endorsement where the writer makes to/too, your/you’re, etc. type mistakes, it actually makes the endorsee look worse in my eyes.

I don’t think that’s necessarily the point – the PhD is a certification and it seems that common business convention is to include these degrees, at least in the U.S.

On another note, I have never actually heard someone throw down the “I have a PhD” card to win an argument, but maybe I’m just fortunate not to hang out with complete tools

Oh don’t worry, I plan to. Don’t see why that is relevant. All you are doing is taking a cheap shot at me because I dont have the vaunted charterholder title that you do. Typical Itera non-sensical arrogance and putting down of others. Whether I have a PhD in finance from Harvard or am in 3rd grade, it shouldn’t matter. You should debate the topic at hand and not make backhanded cheap shot comments at someone’s qualifications that have no relevance.

no

I agree that it often does seem to be the norm, but that doesnt make it right. It seems to be a “if you cant beat 'em, join 'em” mentalitiy. One can put such distinctions on their resume and or business card without it having to be a part of the name.

It’s actually business convention to have PhD’s on business cards. Notwithstanding a somewhat vapid and tiresome discussion about whether it’s right or wrong to do so, I actually think that one’s negative emotional response to someone with a PhD in their professional documents has less to do with the person that has the PhD, and more to do with the person that is somehow irked by it. Seems the person who is somehow turned off by that likely has some real insecurities they need to shelter.

^. I’ll just say it flat out. Vandelay, you’ve got issues.

Of course it matters. If I’m doing the hiring, my opinion matters far more vs. The opinions of the candidates im looking at. Very simple logic. You’re just letting your immaturity cloud your judgment

The “I have a Ph.D.” card is generally thrown down when someone with little real knowledge of a field is arguing some point which is either wrongheaded, completely trivial, or irrelevant. It only carries force when the knowledge gap is wide and the subject matter is in or closely related to the field of the Ph.D… Sometimes it is used when people are simply not being logical with theory or evidence and are obtuse to their own logical failings; again, if the gap is wide. Any time else, it’s a douchebaggy way to win an argument.

In other words, if a Ph.D. uses the “I have a Ph.D.” to win an argument, either the Ph.D. is being a douche (if the discussion isn’t about logical errors or about something closely related to the Ph.D.'s field of study), or the guy being talked to is so ignorant or dense that the guy can’t be bothered to try to reason with them and is about to disengage from arguing at all.

Interesting that someone who wants tons of money so that he can be envied by everyone feels it’s arrogant and obnoxions when there are other potentially legitimate things to be admired for, such as intense dedication to learn and understand an area of human knowledge (though varios designations).

And, although it may sound like splitting hairs, a Ph.D. is a degree, not simply a designation.

Why is it neccessary to have it as a part of the name? Why not just at the top of the resume? Listing it as a part of the name implies that you are better than anyone that doesnt have it as a part of their name. Ill say it again, your education shouldnt define you. Why should anyone introduce themselves as “Dr.” in a non-professional setting? For no reason other than to make others bow down to their prowess and hold them in higher esteem. The person that puts it in their name is the one with the insecurities. They feel compelled to attache their name to it in order to prove their worthniess in society

I saw one yesterday: EntrepreNurturer (yes it even had the obnoxiously capitalized N like that).

Would you not hire someone if they dont have their credentials listed after their name? The point im making is that you wanted to put me down with my lack of managerial status as opposed to discuss the topic at hand

I think something must be amiss here. You posted on a separate thread asking about how important money was, and that you felt insecure when people who aren’t as smart as you are making more money than you. Then I read your post above, and I thought, how ironic.

Im about subtlety. Like I said in the other thread, I want people to admire how much money I have, not how I spend it like a moron on flashy and dumb stuff. Likewise, I want my accomplishments to speak for themselves and not have to say “HEY GUYS, LOOK AT ME, IM A DOCTOR”

I actually think PhD (or MD) looks a bit strange at the top of a standard resume (probably because it will be obvious from the education section), but CFA/CPA (and similar professional designations) look in place. MA/MS/MBA/JD (I have or am working on all of these) are just tacky and it’s generally people from lower-ranked schools who do this.

Although I think doctoral designations (PhD/MD) should generally be included on business cards or at the heading of an expert report, since most people don’t append them to business cards (they’ll usually be featured on the CV at the end of a long, boring expert report, and doing so reminds counse on both sides that they should be addressed as “Doctor”).

I agree with most of this, but why can CFA/CPA not just be in the education section like Phd, MBA, MS etc?

Because professional certifications/qualifications are generally not included under education.

ETA: Also, people applying for certain positions (or when establishing qualifications) will generally have roughly equivalent levels of education, so it’s not necessary to highlight the fact you’re an MD when applying for a role as a doctor or a PhD when applying for an academic position. In some cases, it may be appropriate (PhD when applying for equity analyst role, etc.).

What about a “Certifications/designations” resume section?

And that is a nice point, but I still dont see why it is necessary to incude in as a part of your name as opposed to perhaps a summary section at the top