Oversold LinkedIn Profiles

Mr. VDLI wants to be subtly better than everyone else in the world. What really bothers him is how arrogant people who have obviously accomplished more than he has are.

As for the letters, they are on the business card because they are likely to be relevant to the people you give the card to. They are on the resume because the name and letters on the resume should be coherent with the card, unless the resume has a wider target audience, in which case thereby be more letters on the top of the resume (though too many letters can look like alphabet soup and work against you.

Zing!

Not true at all. I dont put MBA after my name, yet some people do. And if/when I do get my CFA charter I wont be putting it behind my name either

You can put it on the business card without it being a part of your name. You can have your name, then a short subtitle of “CPA with 10 years experience” or something like that. No reason it should be a part of your name

I really can’t tell if your common sense scale is just so wacked out, or you are just grabbing at any argument you can no matter how absurb it is just to make an argument.

Dude, MBA after your name is not remotely close to putting CFA after your name.

also, you previously also used the example of not putting “4.0 Harvard” behind your name , that’s also not even remotely close to putting CFA after your name either

you’re just trolling right? because ha ha … that was a good one

No Im not trolling. Im serious. What is the reason people put CFA behind their name? To make them seem more competent and knowledgable, right? Same thing as people doing it with MBA or GPA anything like that. It’s all in an attempt to sound better and more prestigious.

Vandelay you take these things too seriously, similar to the “hanging your charter in your office” thread. I don’t think people necessarily do these things to show off and brag about how intelligent they are, it just represents their hard work and is something they’re (rightfully) proud of.

I list my national boxing title from 8 years ago on my resume, not to show off, but because it’s a part of who I am. I sacrificed most of my teenage years to earn it, and it’s something i’m proud of. I don’t go around introducing myself as africafarmer, boxing champion, similar to how most non-douchey people don’t introduce themselves as Joe Bloggs, CFA, but if it’s brought up in conversation or appropriate for the platform (i.e. linkedin and resumes) then why not take the opportunity to talk about yourself a little bit.

Yes, it would appear that’s what’s going on here. It reminds me of this guy I once knew back in my early 20’s – dude drove around in an old-model Honda Accord, made about $35K a year doing some blue-collar job but had champagne tastes and caviar dreams. He would always criticize people and say things like, “if I drove that $80,000 Mercedes, I would NEVER put rims on it like that – how tacky,” or make dumb comments like, “how are you going to take a girl like that to a restaurant and order the Roderer, I would think that you would AT LEAST get a recent vintage Dom Perignon.”

And it was sad to listen to, really, especially when he would say these things while we were around other people that I knew were thinking the exact same thing. We were all internally cringing because we knew this character couldn’t afford ANY of what he was talking about, yet he still strutted around like he was some kind of expert on the high life. I think he actually used to also subscribe to the Robb Report also, which is preposterous when you think about it.

Thanks for bringing the thread back to the original idea. Yes, this kind of thing bothers me tremendously. Likely, if this was a woman’s profile (I hope it was), it was paired with a soft-lighting picture of the girl in a cutesy “it’s just me” kind of picture, almost saying, look at how (sort of) successful I can be in business, and still be this Jewel-next-door, cute-as-a-button individual!

Barf.

Vandi…have you earned any designation / degree that is actually a common and accepted practice to put after your name? PhD, MD, CPA, CFA? Because it seems you have only earned an MBA which is definitely not a common and accepted thing to put after your name…it is like puting Ramos, HS Diploma…or Ramos, BS / BA…You see how stupid that looks…thats how stupid putting MBA after your name looks so you shouldnt use the fact that you dont put MBA after your name as an argument…NO ONE should be putting MBA after their name. It is not the same as a PhD, MD, CPA, CFA. I think youre upset you havent earned any of the higher level degrees / designation and are talking like you have and putting down those that have because…well…2nd grade logic…youre jealous, which is fine, but stop digging yourself deeper in this hole…we can all see past you.

A lot of people never get that far down the résumé section to see the education section, or have more or less made a judgment already, by the time get get there. Especially since a PhD takes a substantial chunk out of one’s life, people with a PhD appear to have less work experience early on in their life. Having Ph.D. at the top can pre-signal that there’s a reason for that. And, in an academic context, Ph.D. at the top signals that someone is finished with a dissertation, rather than ABD. Early in an academic career, this distinction is important; afterwards, it tends to remain simply by convention.

Silly question, but do you need a masters to get a PhD?

^ Not necessarily.

No. People usually do get the masters anyway, because in the same field, much of the coursework is the same and you may as well just take the extra couple of courses to get the masters.

Also could be a backup in case you can’t finish the PhD , at least you won’t walk away with nothing.

If you don’t have a master’s degree in the discipline already, they’ll usually force you to take courses in the discipline and give you a master’s degree as you progress. You’re generally not allowed to start writing a dissertation in a discipline unless you have a master’s degree in the same (or possibly something very closely related).

I BA demonstrates that you can learn about a subject. A master’s states that you have additional expertise in a specific domain of knowledge. A Ph.D. indicates that you have the critical thinking skills to produce new knowledge in that domain that is appropriately vetted and not subject to the kinds of errors that people without training tend to make.

What that means is - yes - you need a master’s before completing a Ph.D., but many Ph.D. programs will accept you, train you for the master’s degree, and then continue you on to the dissertation and defense in one package.

I have never suggest not putting it in the resume. My issue is attaching the titles to your name. People bring up their titles and attach them to their names in sitatuations that definitely dont merit it. For instance, their twitter profiles even though their twitter is for personal use and has nothing to do with their job. I have also heard people say “Hi, I am John Smith, PhD” or of course introducing yourself as Dr. is the same effect.

So you are saying that Im lying about not putting CFA behind my name?

Rightly or wrongly, there is a contigent of people that put MBA after their name. We have all seen it. I think it does indicate the ability for me to abstain from adding such titles to my name. I clearly could add it if I was really that set on addding stuff behind my name. A CFA is a masters level degree anyway, it is not a PhD, therefore it should be seen as more similar to an MBA, not a PhD, anyway

So it boils down to having to feel like you have something to prove, like ive said. If one truly feels its imperative to have it at the top, have it in a career summary, not as a part of ones name. Plus, your reasoning provides no reason for why PhDs need to introduce themselves as Dr. in social situations