page 80 FSA

Example 8, question 1 when they subtract the 150 out of assets and equity should not they also add 25 depreciation to both… that 25 depreciation was cause by the asset revaluation, how can they ignore it…

good question, i guess you just don’t take that into consideration…not sure why sorry

lol my friend Andrew… If that is the attitude I wanted to follow with my studying, I would have been done 2 months ago :frowning: Come on, we cant just say “i guess you just dont take that into consideration”…

well why dont you come up w/ an answer genius? When I did that example maybe I just realized that you don’t include depreciation in this revaluation/write up because…

I dont have an answer, thats why I am here asking… But on many ocassions I have found mistakes in CFAI curriculum (remember i forwarded you an email from CFA admitting a mistake) and Schweser is full of mistakes… :frowning: So this could be just one of them !

i dont think its a mistake

Let me take a stab, but I’m not 100% on it. The assets shown are net of their depreciation charge; i.e., debit the asset by depreciation, credit (charge) to income statement (as depreciation expense). So what it really is, is an asset increase of $175, but then it’s depreciated by $25, which charged off to I.S., so the increase in net asset value is only $150. With no adjustment, you would subtract out the full asset of $175, then add back the $25 charge which nets out to $150. Basically, you need to add and subtract the net asset only, or convert to prior to depreciated, then consider the expense credit.

^makes sense… I just hope if this comes up on an exam it is clear like this Thanks @SeesFA