Part Time vs Full Time MBA

I noticed that someone previously posted that “he had a part time MBA.” Is it necessary to state whether its a full time or part time MBA? Do employers on Wall Street have a preference?

An MBA is an MBA. I read an article the other day that something like 60+% of people are doing part-time MBA and all that means it that you do it over 3 years instead of 2 and is geared towards working professionals. Most all schools have that option now and people like myself didn’t want to take the time off to get the MBA. Georiga State had a top 10 program and was very accessible to me in downtown Atlanta. I know that Emory offers a variety of programs now for people like me but when I did the MBA it wasn’t as flexible. Really a judgement call, the name of the school is what matters most. I’m not sure what people think about Georgia State.

I don’t think it’s practical to get a full-time MBA unless you are just fresh out of school and don’t have a job yet. If you are working in the financial industry, you’d probably choose a part-time program.

very nice…thank you both

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think it’s practical to get a full-time > MBA unless you are just fresh out of school and > don’t have a job yet. If you are working in the > financial industry, you’d probably choose a > part-time program. An MBA is 100% worthless if one does not have work experience. Okay, maybe its only 99.9% worthless, because I’m sure there will be some success story out there. And PT vs. FT is a personal decision. I would never consider a PT MBA, but that would be due to time constraints and unpredictable hours I work. FT MBA’s are primarily intended for career switchers, while PT programs are geared towards those that are already in the role they want and just want to further develop their career. As such, many PT programs don’t have the same access to the recruiting process. But again, that doesn’t matter if you’re not looking for a different job.

>>>An MBA is an MBA. no no no. At practically every school, the admission reqs are easier for PT, weekend, executive, etc and as such recruiters give much more preference to the full time kids. PT kids usually can’t participate in on-campus recruiting, making it impossible to switch into top level IB or MC.

no no no. At practically every school, the admission reqs are easier for PT, weekend, executive, etc and as such recruiters give much more preference to the full time kids. PT kids usually can’t participate in on-campus recruiting, making it impossible to switch into top level IB or MC. Yeah I wouldn’t agree with that at all. That is what the “traditionalists” think and still hold on to. You have access to just as much recruiting as any other student. If you attend a part-time program at a school with a full-time program you can take off work for those events and you still have the same access. MBAs are like a lot of things in this world, people form the old-school are still trying to hold on to the past. There is a clear and definitive trend towards part-time MBAs and that is beause more-and-more people like their jobs or have responsibilities. Most 29 year olds have families, mortgages, cars, etc and can’t take off and go back to school. Don’t be an elitist, there is a reason GSU has more executives in Atlanta than any other school.

It depends on the program. imo USC PT is a far better choice than NYU PT precisely because of the attitudes that are prevalent at USC (every trojan is a trojan). I’m sure it’s the same at Georgia Tech. NYU on the other hand is more of a class system.

jmerten Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no no no. At practically every school, the > admission reqs are easier for PT, weekend, > executive, etc and as such recruiters give much > more preference to the full time kids. PT kids > usually can’t participate in on-campus recruiting, > making it impossible to switch into top level IB > or MC. > > Yeah I wouldn’t agree with that at all. That is > what the “traditionalists” think and still hold on > to. You have access to just as much recruiting as > any other student. If you attend a part-time > program at a school with a full-time program you > can take off work for those events and you still > have the same access. > > MBAs are like a lot of things in this world, > people form the old-school are still trying to > hold on to the past. There is a clear and > definitive trend towards part-time MBAs and that > is beause more-and-more people like their jobs or > have responsibilities. > > Most 29 year olds have families, mortgages, cars, > etc and can’t take off and go back to school. > > Don’t be an elitist, there is a reason GSU has > more executives in Atlanta than any other school. No offense, but weren’t you the guy on here the other day asking if you would have a shot at a banking job, and were worried that your MBA from Georgia State would hold you back?

None taken, I asked for opinions on that. If you do a little research there are plenty of people from GSU that are working in high-level postions throughout Wall Street; obviously not as many as the elilte NE schools but that is what you would expect. My problem was that I didn’t start in IBanking and that it can be sort of a top 5 program or bust. I don’t think it is a knock on someone if they have a hard time gaining entry into that, it is very selective, and not everyone is the top of their class from a top school. I make $100k plus right now in a Strategic Planning and Finance group in a credit card company in Atlanta but the lure of more money was what enticed me. I didn’t mean to come off defiant but there is plenty of evidence to support a part-time MBA these days and some people think “part-time” is a 4-letter word of sorts.

Well, put it this way, IMHO, it’s a four letter word if you’re looking to upgrade to an Associate job post-graduation through the campus recruiting process. GS just isn’t going to PT campuses with the intention of hiring 20 people like they are for FT. Not that PT doesn’t work, it’s just different.

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, put it this way, IMHO, it’s a four letter > word if you’re looking to upgrade to an Associate > job post-graduation through the campus recruiting > process. GS just isn’t going to PT campuses with > the intention of hiring 20 people like they are > for FT. Not that PT doesn’t work, it’s just > different. The networking element in PT programs can be quite good. Some of your classmates often already work for your target employers.

Agreed with ahahah; PT isn’t bad, its just aimed at a different group. If you want to advance in your current role or at your current company a PT MBA is a great.

Probably more of a big deal in big IBanking jobs with the top firms. Most of the people in my grad class all had great jobs but most were accountants or finance managers for Georgia Pacific, Home Depot, Bell South, etc.

>>>Yeah I wouldn’t agree with that at all. That is what the “traditionalists” think and still hold on >>>to. You have access to just as much recruiting as any other student. If you attend a part-time >>>program at a school with a full-time program you can take off work for those events and you >>>still have the same access. ah come on, this is disengenous at best. On-campus recruiting is huge for i-banking and other wall street jobs. It’s a very organized process–formal recruiting starts from the minute you get on campus with events and dinners throughout the fall. Resume drops for summer internships occur in Dec, and interviews and job offers are usually done by the end of Jan. Interviews for full-time jobs are early in the fall of your second semester, with most offers having gone out by now. PT kids often can’t drop resumes for these types of jobs or bid for these inteviews, which often means they are out of luck (it’s not impossible–there are other channels–but it’s much much more difficult.) It’s not snobbery on the school’s part–it’s because 1) the kids already have a job, so how are they going to intern? 2) their company is usually paying for the MBA, and are not too fond of the school facilitating the PT students looking for new jobs. I think PT programs are fine, and I’m sympathetic towards PT kids who feel like they get overlooked at the expense of the FT kids. But the reality is there are significant recruiting differences between FT and PT programs.

Naturallight, those are good points, sounds like you’ve been through the process. I think you’re right for the IBanking jobs, but here in Atlanta, any other job / industry is fair-game for PT vs. FT. I do ver well for myself, obviously not as well as the bankers but I wasn’t even the top of my class at GSU let alone Wharton.

If you don’t see the value in on-campus recruiting then you have a very remote shot at making it into front-office finance at the MBA level, unless you already have good work experience before. I think people who don’t see the value in a top tier MBA – a full time program – just don’t know how most of finance recruiting works at the post-grad level. And there’s no problem with not knowing…just don’t pass it off like it’s some kind of fact because some people here might actually believe you

double post. sorry.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And there’s no problem with not > knowing…just don’t pass it off like it’s some > kind of fact because some people here might > actually believe you I think all message boards need a sticky about how to gain value from advice on said boards: Find a salt shaker and pour out a grain. Then throw that grain out and take the rest of the shaker full along w/ any advice. There is definitely some value to be found on these boards, but there is a lot of misinformation as well. (This is not a shot at anyone; I’ve definitely given bad advice as well).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9006844/ Good article on the shift of paradigm towards the PT MBA.