Pass/Fail Borderline - Let's compare

Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 * - - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - - * - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - * - - General Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - I must have been really close, seen these exact scores with a pass. so close, story of my life

If it makes you guys feel better, I got 60% based on 40-60-80 and failed. Oh well, back to the books…do not want to leave any doubt for next time.

CFAI and their lack of transparency (see a thread that I started yesterday). Take a look at the facts (no judgements attached) My FAIL Results Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 * - - - Derivatives 12 - * - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - - * - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - * - - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - A PASS Result posted : - Alternative Assets 12 * - - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - * - - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - ??? I am the champion of the thread, I guess. 61% in 40/60/80 :slight_smile: (A poster told me). Fortunately, I don’t need to retake this crappy “black-box” scored exam anymore :slight_smile: Good luck, guys.

The hting is dude, that there is a huge difference between 52% and 69% in each section so the- 40-60-80 rule is super flawed and not scientific, fun to see the results though. See some of you in June! Kepp the heads up!

damn i totally overstudied for this thing… ;))

It’s pretty clear to me that I barely passed and that missing only one or two questions would have put me below. If I got the maximum score in each bracket, (which I must have done), that would still have only given me 68.5%. (Don’t even asked how I scored in the 40/60/80 calculation, which assumes that’s what you got within each bracket) I’ve only seen one report posted which is lower than mine. I think someone said they thought 66% was the cutoff, i.e., you could have gotten 80 questions wrong and still passed. Level 1: Pass Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 - - * - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - * - - General Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - Good luck everyone for L1, L2, or wherever. Remember its’ the journey not the destination.

I’m ashamed that they let you guys pass with these results. - Alternative Assets 12 * - - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - * - - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - - Alternative Assets 12 * - - - Derivatives 12 - * - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - - * - General Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Analysis 28 - - *

They didn’t LET them pass, I think they must have passed. The 1st of the two results is mine though :). I must have just been above or on the cut-off. But will admit am surprised that it is a pass. So surprised that I keep checking the sites every few hours, scared they might change it. Best part is that my undergrad was Econ and Post grad was Derivatives related :slight_smile:

nilay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > - Alternative Assets 12 * - - > - Derivatives 12 * - - > - Economics 24 * - - > - Equity Analysis 24 - * - > - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - > - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - > - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - * - > - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * > - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - > > > and a Pass. Well thats what it say of the website. > I keep checking every 20mins to make sure they > dont change it. :slight_smile: WOW Nilay, Congrats… at the end of the day, a PASS is a PASS. But that was a real close call buddy… Thank lady luck for standing besides you…

Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q#Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70%>70% - Alternative Assets 12 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 * - - - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Analysis 28 - - * So happy dont have to go through Level 1 again, passed on first attempt, well barely I think.

Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% Alternative Assets 12 - - * Derivatives 12 * - - Economics 24 - * - Equity Analysis 24 - - * Ethical & Professional Stnds.36 - - * Financial Statement Analysis 68 - - * Fixed Income Analysis 24 - - * General Portfolio Management 12- - * Quantitative Analysis 28 - - * I did terrible on Derivative…

Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 * - - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - - * - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - - * - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - don’t quite understand who they mark it…?

Is this borderline? Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 - * - - Derivatives 12 - * - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 * - - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 * - - - General Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * -

If you assume that you got the highest score in each percentile range (Best Case Scenario), you would have the below result. You had 50% or below in FSA the single largest section and two of the 24 point sections. Together with everything else this would put you in aggregate 60% even in best case scenario. Based on my score, see above, I’m speculating that 160 correct or 66% is close to passing, so you were at least 6% or 15 questions away. If you got 70% + in FSA you might have passed. Man, I’m getting obsessed with this test. Sorry the numbers got all jumbled up No. Ques Max % Correct Wrong ----------- -------- -------- -------- - Alternative Assets 12 - * - 12 0.7 8.4 3.6 - Derivatives 12 - * - 12 0.7 8.4 3.6 - Economics 24 * - - 24 0.5 12 12 - Equity Analysis 24 - * - 24 0.7 16.8 7.2 - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - 36 0.7 25.2 10.8 - Financial Statement Analysis 68 * - - 68 0.5 34 34 - Fixed Income Analysis 24 * - - 24 0.5 12 12 - General Portfolio Management 12 - * - 12 0.7 8.4 3.6 - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - 28 0.7 19.6 8.4 -------------------------------------------- 240 144.8 95.2 60% If you were a lot lower than the top percentile range, than this overstates how close you were.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is this borderline? > Frankly, that would be a no. Your BEST possible score (assuming that you got 50% right on everything in the lowest category and 70% on everything in the middle) is 60% overall. Your lowest possible score is 25%. For June focus on pushing FSA and Fixed income into the top group as a priority, and maintain all of the others and you’ll tur this into a pass.

So it’s possible to compute based on the results percentile ranges, a best case, worst case, and midpoint for each subject area and the total. Depending on whether you flunked or passed you should know whether you were above or below the 66% threshold in the aggregate. Not sure it tells you much more than you already know about what subjects you need to work on.

PASS! Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 - * - - Derivatives 12 - * - - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Analysis 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - - Fixed Income Analysis 24 * - - - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - any tricks to getting the 40/60/80 calc to work? i assume just insert like the sample and calc… it keeps saying i need to put pass or fail into the box - which i am assuming is the box where the results go as there’s no other option. won’t let me check the pass or fail options though…

nilay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They didn’t LET them pass, I think they must have > passed. The 1st of the two results is mine though > :). I must have just been above or on the > cut-off. > > But will admit am surprised that it is a pass. So > surprised that I keep checking the sites every few > hours, scared they might change it. > > Best part is that my undergrad was Econ and Post > grad was Derivatives related :slight_smile: It happen. :slight_smile: I did math all my life(m an engineer) and topped my graduate economics class at University of Maryland, College Park with 98% agregate. I failed in both quant and economics. By the way I passed. So Cheers…

Thanks for all the input. Wouldn’t be easier and more transparent, and darn right fair, if CFAI would just publish the actual score? I presume there is a "fair’ formula which they are entitled to use, no problem with that… just give each one his/her actual scores!

Prabash - your experience is similar to mine. I majored in econ at top flight university with a world famous econ dept and never got below an A in any econ class. Guess what I flunked the econ section and like you still managed to pass. Maybe it’s because we thought we were strong on this and spent more time on other sections. But it’s still quirky, and shows you how hard the exam is, and how even with the best background you still have to put the time in. Also if you have no background, then this exam will be d_mn hard because you’re competing against people who’ve studied some of the topics in school and done well at it. Hey wait it could also be that we know econ so well, that the simplistic multiple choice format couldn’t fully test our knowledge. LOL. good luck on L2, and I’ve sworn to get at least 50% in econ.