Pass/Fail Borderline - Let's compare

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks for all the input. Wouldn’t be easier and > more transparent, and darn right fair, if CFAI > would just publish the actual score? I presume > there is a "fair’ formula which they are entitled > to use, no problem with that… just give each one > his/her actual scores! Dreary: If CFAI chooses lack of transparency, they must feel it’s optimal for them. Having done a lot of grading, I know the grief you get if there’s a published pass standard of (for example) a 70 and you have people between 69 and 70. In the case of students like these, they ask you to go over every calculation, and it can be a royal pain in whatever body part you choose. Multiply that by 100 (and make the test much higher stake) and you get CFAI’s dilemma. It’s true that the lack of transparency at CFAI makes some people ask for regrades, but I’m sure that it’s far fewer. It also gives them the flexibility to set the passing score at any point they want from year to year with impunity. I can imagine scenarios where they could catch grief from having a cutoff score in a given year that’s either extremely high or extremely low. In any event, since they’re the monopoly provider of a highly valued good, they get to do whatever the hell they want. I don’t like it, but them’s the breaks. Sorry to hear about the fail. Kellyima’s analysis is correct - you’re further below the cutoff than you though. But while it sucks at present, don’t lose heart. Use what you learned from this failure, make the changes you need, and nail it next time. No one cares how many times you take to pass the exams – only that you do. The good news is that you have a real jump on the next time around.

Busprof, thanks for the insight. I agree. CFAI can do whatever they like, and we have to just accept that.