Passed all 3 levels - pay for the membership?

Hey everyone, here to seek some genuine advice related to career/job seeking. First off, I’m based in the finance capital of Canada.

I passed all three levels last year, but I did not apply and pay to get the three letters by name. I didn’t find it was necessary especially because my current role doesn’t require or sponsor CFA (market research for financial services). My rationale was that I would opt in the membership if I switch to an investment/AM firm that will pay the dues for me.

With that said, would you recommend just paying for the membership and have the 3 letter while job seeking? I’m not sure if it would make much difference, especially given that this city has the highest number of Charterholders per capita (source: Trust me Bro). Perhaps becoming part of the CFA society will open more opportunities? Would love to hear y’all thoughts. On my resume, I just have ‘passed all three levels’ at the moment.

1 Like

Sure 500 dollars is a lot, but it looks to any prospective employer that you are a nickel and dimer if you passed all three levels but don’t have the designation. You don’t want to look cheap to an employer.

You’ve invested insane amount of time and energy and money. Pay the fee. The fee is the table stakes to be at the big boy table. You want to sit at the table, then pay the fee.

1 Like

Appreciate your response. Makes total sense. Funny enough, I switched to a new role - index side. And looks like they’ll pay for the membership dues!

I just applied for the membership. Hopefully it goes smooth. I hope to continue to be an integral member of AF community.

Congrats on new role and all the best! A good shop should pay your dues, so glad to see it happening.

1 Like