Passed three levels at first attempts before 23

Well I just wrote I never studied Economics in school, so you enlighten me buddy. This is what I hear from my colleagues that actually did study Economics…

IMO I think that it’s much more challenging for those guys who prepare for the exam while have to work full-time than for under/graduate students.

Yes, definitely it is.

Ahh you got a crush on me, I have to warn you, I’m not that good looking actually…

Your colleagues didnt actually study Economics if it wasnt quantitative…a real Economics program is math heavy, most should and would double major in mathematics.

Sounds like you won’t be a CFA Charterholder for quite some time, JKNash. Experience comes with maturity…

But look at things on the bright side – at least you can still show “CFA Passed Level III” just below your screen name on this forum (…like a few others).

tjhis. somebody fresh out of school without other responsbilities should of course have an easier time to pass the tests. I dont get why you are bragging.

Then it’s different in different countries I guess. I grew up in Sweden, of course some people could choose to read up extra on math (double major) but that’s exactly what I meant that OP should have done.

Just as an example of what is math heavy as you see it. Deriving the Black & Scholes formula from integrals and actually understanding the maths behind those integrals.

And even more challenging to work full-time, prpe the exam and balance the family. It just gets harder to do it as you get older and pick up responsibiliites.

come on guys, cut him some slack

we have all been young and cocky at our achievements.

‘chinaman’ ?? is that the best you can do? being racist only because the kid is showing off?

we all have our own paths to walk through, no one is necessarily superior than another… let it be.

I am chinese too. oh or should I call myself a chinawoman… and my parents never forced me to do anything… so shake off your stereotype please, you are more intelligent than this…

I agree Camille, chinaman comments are uncalled for. But on the other hand I think its not really a bad thing being told off be elders when you are being (too) cocky.

yeah sure it’s just…this guy is barely 23, he is practically a kid…

I got a full time job before 20.

One thing I’ve realized through competiting in college athletics and now in the workforce (I’m 25 btw)…There is always someone better than you, younger than you, works harder than you, smarter than you, etc. Some people never realize this. The people who do realize this will either:

1. Use it as an excuse to not improve. “I can’t be the best at what I do because (fill in the blank).”
  2. -or- Use it as motivation to constantly be improving because they recognize that there is always room for improvement.

OP - You have accomplished something great by passing Level 3 at the age of 23, but you have a long ways to go. Reward yourself, then continue finding ways to improve.

As already suggested, your colleagues did not study economics. They most likely did a business economics / economic history or any of the plethora of pseudo - economics courses that are now being offered.

A typical economics msc will have macro, micro and econometric theory, all of which are purely quantitative and have nothing but model derivations. Then electives would typically be advanced micro / macro / metrics (even more maths) or applied versions of these in different disciplines (matlab modeling for macro, applied microeconometrics with Stata etc).

NONE of these are covered in any detail in the CFA curriculum, apart from the introductory statistics/ econometrics we do in the quantitative sections throughout the levels, which by the way are the only ones relevant to somebody with an econ degree.

No man, I am still a student. I just wanted to point out that passing 3 levels means nothing when we are in university. The value of the designation comes with experience and knowledge.

I’ll take your word for it…

You’re alright, Robbie – just having some post-LIII-results fun.

congrats OP, no where near the youngest to pass but I’d still like to send you a giant trophy with “Number 1 Human” engraved on it, is there room on the mantle in between the self portraits?!

Congrats man! that’s awesome. I would have also loved to do this earlier, had I been allowed to take the exams before the senior year. Now the only thing I can do is to go 3/3 and don’t waste any more time/money on this.

I have a friend who has passed all three exams by 21 and I am pretty sure there is somebody out there who has done it even earlier than that.

OK, this has to stop, the thread has gone far away from my initial intention. One thing i don’t like about online forums is you get into meaningless arguments and people make jokes on each other for nothing. Here are my responeses to some of the acid remarks, and I’m not staying in this forum anymore since my thread cause this much meaningless fights.

1. To the person pointing me to the work experience requirement on CFA website, didn’t you see I mentioned about my lack of work experienc at the very beginning?

2. To those who think I’m geek and have nothing to do except for studying CFA, you guys are so wrong.

3. To those claiming it would be much easier to take the test as a student. Actually I really don’t know how that would be like, because I was working full-time!! When I studied for CFA, I was working as a management consultant and always worked more hours than most jobs!

4. For those question me having studying the same stuff from my Economics degrees. You are wrong, I didn’t study the “soft” business type economics, my courseworks were all theoretical (advanced macro and micro) quantitative (econometrics), making proves, deriving formulas and coding all the time. BTW, I have not interest in FRM at all, it sounds boring to me (personal opinion)

5. For the person joking about Goldman offer. Why don’t you mention some even more glamorous names? KKR, Carlyle, Bridgewater Paulson Citadel?? Of course, everyone knows CFA has nothing to do with a good job

6. For people being racist about Chinese. My parents never forced me into anything, they have nothing to do with my study, especially CFA

7. For CFA candidates who have family, I always respect that you guys have to balance CFA, family and career. I cannot imagine what it would be like for me to take CFA while having a family. Everyone knows it’s very difficult, and I have not intention to imply superior from saying I passed it at a younger age at all. It’s just unfair comparison and I’m just so glad I don’t have that family responsibility right now.

8. For those who call me “kid”, I’m totaly fine with that, i don’t get angry at all.

For everyone else congrating me, I thank you sincerely.

Bye, analystforum smiley

OP is maaad. Yikes. Dude, the point is, no one cares about you having passed the exam by 23. What matters is what you do with the knowledge gained from all the studying. So unless you become Bill Gross in the next year, FOH.