Passing Score and Grading

We know that the CFA Institute grades on a curve and we suspect that the passing grade is approximately 70% of a score of 90 or 63% correct to pass. But honestly, who has ever gotten a 90% on these exams. On all the practice exams I have taken, the highest score I EVER got was 85% correct. My average is about 73% correct. Please post your high and average scores on your practice exams (CFAI, Schweser, Stalla, etc…) and we can see if anyone is consistently in this 90% range. High: 85% Median: 73% Range: 53%-85%

kahbii

kahbii misses a few questions on purpose so the CFAI doesn’t think he is cheating.

a CFAI dude at my seminar kept saying 62% was average cutoff… but then you read the downer thread about mrX who failed with all but a small section over 70% so who knows.

some dude from the cfai was willing to speculate on the average cutoff? was he the janitor?

Professor at the Windsor Seminar said if you score 65 and above and you’re on to level 3…seems so easy when you say it like that.

would love to believe that. it’s hard for me to believe that a lot of the smart guys here who are repeaters didn’t hit 65 last year.

I don’t think its unbelievable…no offense to anybody who wrote and failed, but this is a hard test and many smart people fail. There’s no shame in it if you put the time in. Sometimes it’s just not your day. At least that’s what I keep telling myself!

If you reach to say that top 1% score 95%, using the 70% rule would make the cut-off 66.5%. I would consider that a reasonable goal. Ppl appearing to be “smart” on a chat board does not equal exam necessarily mean passing the exam- there are endless factors to consider. I know plenty of very intelligent ppl who have failed exams. I would venture to say that the opinions of those who are in the level III forum would have different observations and possibly more positive comments that wouldn’t make my confidence drain every time I read a “I passed all the practice exams and still failed” posts. I mean no disrespect, but most people won’t fail and say… it was doable- but I wasn’t prepared. Some do, and those are the one’s I’m going to pay more attention to.

I took a class and the teacher said the grading goes like this: Over 70% - pass Under 65% - fail Everyone between 65-70 are lumped together and the CFAI has certain areas they want to see the candidate do well in (prob Ethics first, then Equity for Level II, then FSA??). There can and will be cases where someone scores a 69 and fails and someone else scores a 65 and passes. I was def in the 65-70 range last year (over 70 in the big boys), but got under 50% in ethics and here I am again. Moral of the story - dont underestimate ethics!

Also, this is apparently why it takes so long to grade… so they say anyways…

we need to make sure kabhii doesn’t take this exam :slight_smile:

Everyone sitting just needs to pay another guy to go in and take exam monkey style :slight_smile:

JPNYC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I took a class and the teacher said the grading > goes like this: > > Over 70% - pass > Under 65% - fail > Everyone between 65-70 are lumped together and the > CFAI has certain areas they want to see the > candidate do well in (prob Ethics first, then > Equity for Level II, then FSA??). There can and > will be cases where someone scores a 69 and fails > and someone else scores a 65 and passes. > > I was def in the 65-70 range last year (over 70 in > the big boys), but got under 50% in ethics and > here I am again. Moral of the story - dont > underestimate ethics! That is BS… I failed with all big topics in 70%+ last year…if you have not read my other threads already…that was 5 of 8 topics incl. FSA, Ethics, and Equity No one knows how they freaking mark and grade these things, and no point speculating either.

think that was my original point. we’re all just going to have to kick a$$ and forget about what the cutoff is.

“No one knows how they freaking mark and grade these things, and no point speculating either.” Bingo.

the professor from the schweser 3 days seminar told us that if we score 70% in the schweser practice exams, we should be able to pass. who is kahbii? what was his score in the actual level 2 exam?

Kabhii is doing it with us this year but so far he has been killing all the Schweser and CFAI sample exams

Does Kabhii have a life outside of CFA studies?

ptrick73 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does Kabhii have a life outside of CFA studies? that’s not cool man… he’s smart…give him some credit…!