Passing the CFA Level 1 - University of Toronto

Anyone out there taking this preparation course at the University called Passing the CFA Level-I, and if so please give some feedback on this course. Are there adiquate study notes, questions, and study materials Also Please recommend the best preparation courses and study plans and notes

This course is priced at whopping $3000 CDN…They claim people who take their course has passing rate of 65%. I just don’t think you need to spend over $3000 to pass Level 1. Details in this site… http://learn.utoronto.ca/bps/cfa.htm

It depends on your background (as usual). If you have a BCom, I don’t understand why you should need help with level 1 (from what I hear). I don’t have a Bcom, and that’s why I’m taking the course at UofT. If you want to pass Level 1, take the course. After taking course, the only way you can fail level 1 is if you got hit by a truck…(and died). I’m reviewing the material for the 3 time already and I still have 40 days to study! The instructor is incredible! Being around Michael makes me smarter. The class comes with notes, audio lessons, quiz’s every week, 3 tests, 1 half exam, 1 full 6 hour exam and after you’re finished all that, you still have a full MONTH to review. Cons: It’s about $4000

My take: At a fraction of a cost, a study material (I use Elan) provides you notes, videos, audios, practice questions etc. And, from what I hear, if you take your time and start early and study regularly, level 1 is not tough to pass (whether you have a backgrnd in Fin or not)…

Agree with Anish. There’s no reason to drop silly money on an exam that is defined as a self study program. Give it solid hours and you should be fine.

You 2 are right. CFA is a self study program and majority of people (i think) do it on their own. That’s the original intention of the program. For those who actually do it on their own, I really think they are very motivated and intelligent people. I have that motivation as well and I want to succeed and pass this exam the first time I take it. The only disadvantage I have is my background and I would want to do everything in my power to seal up that wound. Seeing the exam results are not motivating at all for me. It’s pretty sad to see such low numbers passing. I think people underestimate the exam. I guess that’s the main reason I’m trying to take the best measures possible. I could still fail the exam, but either way, the course has been amazing and has increased my confidence ten holds!

Great if it worked for AGL123. But don’t worry too much about backgrnd… I had never taken a single class of ANY of the subjects in my life… I am an engineer… and you know what, there are dozens of people like me right here… but we are all coping up… and we are not underestimating the exam at all… when I have those 6 CFA books around me, I don’t know which to pick up first since there are gaps in everything… but i dont think anyone can tell me something that these books don’t or for that matter, explain me better than these books do… (but i might revise my opinion if I flunk :slight_smile: ) Anyway, to each his/her own methods… best wishes AGL23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You 2 are right. CFA is a self study program and > majority of people (i think) do it on their own. > That’s the original intention of the program. For > those who actually do it on their own, I really > think they are very motivated and intelligent > people. > > I have that motivation as well and I want to > succeed and pass this exam the first time I take > it. The only disadvantage I have is my background > and I would want to do everything in my power to > seal up that wound. > > Seeing the exam results are not motivating at all > for me. It’s pretty sad to see such low numbers > passing. I think people underestimate the exam. > I guess that’s the main reason I’m trying to take > the best measures possible. > > I could still fail the exam, but either way, the > course has been amazing and has increased my > confidence ten holds!