Path to Sales/Trading

Just out of curiosity, does one need to start as an “analyst” to enter into these roles?

Trading and Analysis are completely different paths.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Trading and Analysis are completely different > paths. But fresh out of undergrad people on S&T desks are referred to as analysts.

By “Analysis,” I think he means Sell Side or Buy Side analysis. And yes, that’s a different path than S&T

Yea, that’s what I meant. I didn’t think so, but I wasn really sure. I didn’t know if the 90+hr weeks, as an analyst, were a right of passage to other areas of the IB. Are these sales/trading jobs as competative as a “typical” investment banking position??

DustyBallz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yea, that’s what I meant. I didn’t think so, but > I wasn really sure. I didn’t know if the 90+hr > weeks, as an analyst, were a right of passage to > other areas of the IB. Are these sales/trading > jobs as competative as a “typical” investment > banking position?? Yes, they are just as difficult to get into. Analyst is just a job title. You can be an analyst on anything from the industrials M&A group to research to sponsor coverage in leveraged finance to CRE CDO’s to cash equities trading.