PE question for numi

I was wondering what modeling skills you use for your job? I think eventually when things turn around I should have a shot of getting some PE interviews, as I work in a group that provides senior debt on LBO’s, yet I think my modeling skills would hold me back. Sadly, I think there is only so much you can learn from a book and really have to get in and work on applicable projects for certain jobs. Did you find you learned as you went, or directly used modeling skills gained in your past role and you hit the ground running? thanks

tiger pose is an essential modelling skill in PE.

LBO/Debt Restructure modeling. Just go to Borders one Sunday, grab a venti coffee and grab an Excel modeling book. Take apart and rebuild the models in the book until you are comfortable with them.

jbaldyga Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > tiger pose is an essential modelling skill in PE. I heard the scorpion pose was pretty essential : http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl2/1/12981/11_2009/0d372b5b90de4c53_locust-scorpion.jpg

What about actual courses like wall street prep or IBTraining ?

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jbaldyga Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > tiger pose is an essential modelling skill in > PE. > > > I heard the scorpion pose was pretty essential : > > http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl2/1/12981/11_ > 2009/0d372b5b90de4c53_locust-scorpion.jpg …you from Bristol?

Have you considered the breaking into wall street course? I know it has LBO modeling among other things in it.

Rudeboi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What about actual courses like wall street prep or > IBTraining ? I have also wondered about these. Are they held with any regard as well for someone with no IB experience, though general finance experience trying to break through. Or would the only shot be go get a top-15 MBA?

You can find excel modeling video courses on Youtube.

I had to learn LBO modeling from scratch when I moved from equity research to private equity. I taught myself by borrowing notes from friends in investment banking and practicing modeling templates. Eventually, I knew my stuff well enough so that I could build a basic LBO model with some sensitivy and scenario analysis in about 1.5 hours. You might consider doing the same. However, I have an even better suggestion for you: since you workn at a place that provides senior debt, I’d think that some of your seniors or associates would have some LBO models provided to them by PE firms. Why not ask around internally and explain that you have a desire to learn about the mechanics of an LBO?

http://www.exinfm.com/free_spreadsheets.html #3-Simple LBO

thanks for the tips. I think my best bet is like you said hunt around and try to get some models that may have been sent to us.

Sounds good. Your company should have plenty of working models from various PE firms available. Keep me posted on how things turn out. If you have any specific questions about LBO modeling after you’ve taken a first crack at reviewing the models, feel free to drop me an e-mail and I can try to walk you through.

If you’ve never done equity modeling, I think things like Wall Street Prep, Wall Street Training, and the like can be a help. Even if you’ve passed CFA L1, it doesn’t really show you the process of building a model and linking it together. I came to this industry from economic policy analysis and development studies, so I never really did much equity modeling. To me, a “model” was a model of causal relationships, so I was a bit puzzled at what “equity modeling” actually was. Watching a video of it (I used Wall Street Training’s video), helped me a lot, and I realized that although there are lots of things to consider, it’s not the extremely complex process I had imagined it to be. It was also helpful to see which parts of modeling come from established relationships between parameters and which parts come from assumptions you pick more or less out of the air. So, I don’t see these things as helpful for resume building, but if you feel you don’t have enough knowledge on what the modeling process involves, it’s very helpful to have someone walk you through it once in detail.

I agree with bchadwick