Pensions

In eg 4 of CFAI in Pensions reading there a lot of PV calcs, which I think is Level 1 material. Do you guys think CFA will give questions on such calcs in the exam? My take is that they won’t , but then you never know

Don’t see why they wouldn’t. PV is pretty fundamental stuff to level 2 material as well. Besides, it’s not like it’s a hard calculation.

Kinda hard to incorporate the PVing part of determing PBO into a vignette to analyze financial ratios. Think about it… there are supposdedly no “nested” questions (right?), so if they made you calculate PBO using given information, then any subsequent question regarding funded status, pension expense, etc., would be predicated on the prior question. I guess I don’t see it likely, of course i could have confirmation bias since I’m not reviewing that portion of pensions and will certainly miss if they ask :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think they will ask anything about PV. They didn’t last year anyway.

Well, good news if I’m wrong.

Are there really no nested questions? Nested, meaning, you use the answer you calculated for #1 in your answering of #2?

they will give you what you should use as a startup figure. e.g. you calculated PBO as 100K. (wrongly). in the next q. if you have to use PBO - they’ll say. Assume your PBO is 150K. now calculate . (something else), say Account Balance under IFRS, e.g.

They could also try to make you second guess yourself. For example (using CP’s results) in Q1 PBO is CORRECTLY calculated as 100K answer options are: A. 100K B. 200K C. 150K in Q2 the tell you to disregard your answer to Q1 and assume PBO is 150K I’ve seen vignettes that do this and try to make you think you calculated Q1 incorrectly, even though A is the correct answer and the PBO they tell you to assume in Q2 would be wrong using the inputs for Q1.

“I’ve seen vignettes that do this and try to make you think you calculated Q1 incorrectly, even though A is the correct answer and the PBO they tell you to assume in Q2 would be wrong using the inputs for Q1.” The wording does not try and mislead you . It just sets you up to use the right initial value. I’d highly appreciate it if they did this for all vignettes insetad of linking the answers of previous to the questions in the subsequent