Performance Measurement position

Any interesting exit opportunities for those working as a performace measurement analyst at an investment management firm? I see a few of these positions available, but wonder if it’s worth getting into.

Better step if you’re completely disconnected from IM, but not front office. Best thing about it is exposures and networking opps in my opinion.

The exit opportunities are going to come from networking w/ others at the firm. The job is interesting enough and is more analytical than other BO jobs. It does qualify for CFAI work experience (if that’s a concern). I’m currently a Performance Analyst and will be starting a job conducting investment manager research and due diligence next month. I was able to make the transition w/ the help of the CFA and networking within the firm.

This isn’t a job that will teach you real core skills like valuation, it’s more geared as a fund-of-funds management type role. Good way to get the foot in the door of “asset mgmt” though

I can’t speak from experience, but I always felt that performance measurement might give you some insight into how you tilt your portfolio to generate returns. I.e. study what worked, and what didn’t. But actually, that is more performance attribution, which may be part of measurement, or not, depending how they think about things and how they organize their firm.

So I’m assuming this is more of a back office position. Surprised that it qualifies for CFAI work experience.

I consider it mid office. Not a bad start IMO, and as has been said good networking opps.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can’t speak from experience, but I always felt > that performance measurement might give you some > insight into how you tilt your portfolio to > generate returns. I.e. study what worked, and > what didn’t. > > But actually, that is more performance > attribution, which may be part of measurement, or > not, depending how they think about things and how > they organize their firm. I was a performance analyst back in the day, and what I learned is that GIPS actually does a pretty good job at NOT allowing you to tilt your returns, at least by using short term market maneuvers. There are ways, however, especially when combining the returns of various accounts to sum up to a total client level return “Let’s include that account”, “Let’s NOT include that account”, “let’s equal weight the accounts”, etc.

though not a sexy job, its in real high demand.

Investment consulting - this is one part of your job. I completely agree with those who’ve said that the opportunities come from networking within your firm and when meeting investment managers. Modified dietz anyone. Here’s hoping it’s on level iii this year.

All I remember from these days were lots of time-weighted total return adventures, but not the worst job in the world.

bison_foilist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I completely agree with those who’ve said > that the opportunities come from networking within > your firm and when meeting investment managers. > While this does seem like a good way to transition, I would never hire someone from a fund-of-funds or consultant to join an asset mgmt team that does valuation and picks individual investments. They just won’t have the skill set