Performance Review - Compensation?

Hi everyone. I’ve got my first annual review scheduled today. A co-worker told me last week that at his previous job (he has only been with us for ~6 months), that compensation was never discussed at reviews. At his old job, reviews were performance only and the compensation question came later. I had been anticipating this as a review and my chance to discuss a bump in comp, as I have a long list of accomplishments in the past year. How does everyone else’s job approach this? Also, I put together a quick one-pager of accomplishments/goals/questions, more of a way just to collect my thoughts. Should I print this off and take it to the review so my boss has a copy, or is it better just to know these things off the top of my head and discuss them?

A little more background on the employer? At my firm, comp and review, while linked, come at different times…with your review coming several weeks before the comp number. And IMHO, the review would be the correct time to ask about raises, as its when things are aired out. Comp number tends to be: This is what you’re getting, any questions?

FIAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A little more background on the employer? > > At my firm, comp and review, while linked, come at > different times…with your review coming several > weeks before the comp number. > > And IMHO, the review would be the correct time to > ask about raises, as its when things are aired > out. Comp number tends to be: This is what you’re > getting, any questions? That makes sense. That is essentially what my co-worker was telling me as well. Background on the employer is basic. It is a larger foundation with a growing investment office. I was the first analyst they hired, so I’m running into some growing pains because everything is new for both them and me.

ideally the performance review is where you and your manager agree that a raise is warranted. Afterwards is when your manager arranges it from available resources. Therefore you need to set the ground for your manager two or three months before the review. He or she needs to know you are hungry for more, you and they establish what performance level is required, and the review is where you say, “Look, I did it,” so your manager has to feel like they are breaching a contract if they don’t follow through. If you don’t set the groundwork before, you are basically stuck with groveling or hoping for goodwill to appear. It can happen, but it’s better if you did the other stuff first.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ideally the performance review is where you and > your manager agree that a raise is warranted. > Afterwards is when your manager arranges it from > available resources. Therefore you need to set > the ground for your manager two or three months > before the review. He or she needs to know you > are hungry for more, you and they establish what > performance level is required, and the review is > where you say, “Look, I did it,” so your manager > has to feel like they are breaching a contract if > they don’t follow through. If you don’t set the > groundwork before, you are basically stuck with > groveling or hoping for goodwill to appear. It > can happen, but it’s better if you did the other > stuff first. Good advice. Thank you