Personal Emails

I have heard conflicting opinions on the rights/ability of companies to go into your personal email. What’s the final say?

typically, if you use their computers and/or network, they own it. e.g. if you transmit personal gmail msgs over their network, they own it. nb: IANAL

Yeah, a lot of companies are starting to block gmail, hotmail, etc. Either way if you do it on their equipment or using their services, they own it.

I have never had trouble, but our IT guy said he can see anything that shows up on the screen if he so chooses. That said, many AF members suggest getting a smart phone with email capabilities.

Correct they can remote onto your desktop and just be a silent observer to your nasty clicks

Agreed – definitely have a smartphone. It is worth every penny, especially if you get a lot of personal e-mails and job search inquiries.

i got a smartphone, but i still send personal emails, but most of them are “innocent”. What about “reasonable expectation of privacy” how does that work?

Reminds me of an Office episode.

Buy a portable laptop and one of those internet-anywhere wireless cards that Verizon or Sprint has. Have it at your desk and do your personal stuff on that. Won’t work at a trading desk, but if you have an office…

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Buy a portable laptop and one of those > internet-anywhere wireless cards that Verizon or > Sprint has. > > Have it at your desk and do your personal stuff on > that. Won’t work at a trading desk, but if you > have an office… Is that worth the investment? I guess if you simply can’t wait until you get home to send harassing emails and look at barely legal teens and naughty office milfs.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have never had trouble, but our IT guy said he > can see anything that shows up on the screen if he > so chooses. > Really? That’s very intrusive. I’d shut that down in a second as an intellectual property/programming issue. If nothing else, I would just crash the program all the time (the CreateRemoteThread function works really well in crashing the most sneaky programs in the world). > That said, many AF members suggest getting a smart > phone with email capabilities.

My life changed once it occurred to me to get a smartphone for personal communications. I figure it must feel like the invention of the wheel, except with better connectivity.

hotdawg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i got a smartphone, but i still send personal > emails, but most of them are “innocent”. What > about “reasonable expectation of privacy” how does > that work? We had a big meeting about email monitoring. Our CEO said he had no issue whatsoever about employees using the work email address for personal correspondence, but since we are a financial firm, monitoring had to occur. Key words like ‘p!ssed, inside information, churning, etc’ earmarked emails so compliance could review. Ironically, our CEO had one of his emails flagged for writing to a friend he was p!ssed off about something. Otherwise he made it clear he had no intention of watching over our personal emails. As far as gmail monitoring goes, that is a good question. Perhaps if your manager thought you were searching for a job he could send an inquiry to the IT department to either confirm or deny his hunch.

You cannot use personal emails at my office. WHich I think is a good idea. Keeps you more focused.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hotdawg Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i got a smartphone, but i still send personal > > emails, but most of them are “innocent”. What > > about “reasonable expectation of privacy” how > does > > that work? > > > We had a big meeting about email monitoring. Our > CEO said he had no issue whatsoever about > employees using the work email address for > personal correspondence, but since we are a > financial firm, monitoring had to occur. Key > words like ‘p!ssed, inside information, churning, > etc’ earmarked emails so compliance could review. > > > Ironically, our CEO had one of his emails flagged > for writing to a friend he was p!ssed off about > something. Otherwise he made it clear he had no > intention of watching over our personal emails. > > As far as gmail monitoring goes, that is a good > question. Perhaps if your manager thought you > were searching for a job he could send an inquiry > to the IT department to either confirm or deny his > hunch. So I had a buddy who wrote me an e-mail that ended “I’ve got to go to a company meeting now. Fun, fun, fun!” The president called him in and said “[George], do you like company meetings?” “Uh, sure they are alright” “[Company attorney] show him e-mail” and he got chewed out and written up. Be very careful about company e-mail. Use your personal phone.

That’s kinda funny! Should any of us be worried if we vent about our employers, managers, etc on AF?

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So I had a buddy who wrote me an e-mail that ended > “I’ve got to go to a company meeting now. Fun, > fun, fun!” The president called him in and said > “, do you like company meetings?” “Uh, sure they > are alright” " show him e-mail" and he got chewed > out and written up. Be very careful about company > e-mail. Use your personal phone. LOL – I would have been like, “Of course I like company meetings! That’s why I’m here today. Do you like company meetings?”

I would have countered that they couldn’t tell the difference between sarcasm and reality in an email.

I didnt give my work email to friends…too risky

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I didnt give my work email to friends…too risky good advice. gmail on the smartphone is the way to go here.