Peyton Manning's Future

Interesting theory, but not gunna happen. Drew Brees is as big as Jesus down in New Orleans (they call him Bresus for a reason) and there is just no way that he won’t get signed to a long term deal, I don’t care if they have to pay him so much that they have to cut the rest of the team. Sure, they love the Manning family too down there, but given what Brees has done to the organization and given Peyton’s injury, I just can’t see the owner taking that kind of a risk with the most important position on his football team. People forget that the Saints didn’t even matter in New Orleans before Brees almost single handedly turned around the franchise.

I still think Cardinals make the most sense. It will come down to them or the Dolphins. Dolphins will probably offer more money but Peyton is smart enough to realize that his best chance for another ring is with the Cardinals.

I’m in agreement that Manning ends up in a less obvious place that those that are commonly referenced (usually Mia, AZ, Wash, Sea). I think it makes perfect sense for him to go to a near playoff team or a team that was bounced from the playoffs, basically any team that has a lot of other really good pieces but lost b/c that team lacks a top-tier QB. Time is working against Peyton bigtime, so he really can’t afford to go to a city where he would basically have to rebuild the team. IMO, Houston is a perfect choice, great WR, great RB, great DEF.

Houston with Manning would be epic. That’s for sure. If they get Foster and Williams back and Peyton is there for a low salary. Ridiculous.

re: Peyton to Texans: https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/177548878780956672

If I were a Colts fan I’d be really pissed. You just don’t do that. Irsay should have just eaten the contract or re-do it, play the legacy card, and let Luck learn from Manning. I saw yesterday’s announcement and my guess is that Manning will be a man on a mission to come back in full form. It would be fun to see the guy stay in the same division to teach the Colts a lesson. Besides, we in the AFC still need a guy who chokes in the playoffs (yeah I just can’t let it go).

I’d say Brees won’t sign sht, and will play chicken with NO to see who has bigger balls. Don’t know the details but I think they offered Manning/Brady money and he wanted more.

Brees has no leverage though. His only weapon is threatening to sit out the whole year, and that’s just not going to happen. New Orleans can’t really trade him either. They can’t negotiate a contract and then trade him for two reasons: 1) Any multi-year deal will be too heavy on the front end and the Saints would take a huge cap hit; and, 2) they’d effectively be negotiating a contract for another team (i.e. whoever they traded him to would have to agree to those terms or better). Signing the franchise tag and then trading him would be a huge cap hit too.

It is possible teams would give NO the two first round picks for him though. But, NO still can match any offer, and you just don’t let one of the best QBs in the league go. Not in a passing league where an elite QB is so important.

Sorry for the double post, but for those few that don’t read Profootballtalk every 10 minutes, this is an article worth checking out:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/08/the-peyton-sweepstakes-power-rankings/

I think I saw similar lists about where Cliff Lee would sign, and the Phillies weren’t anywhere near the top. Granted, the Phils didn’t have to send a fan favorite packing to do it, but no one thought they would spend the money or risk brusing Cole Hamels’ ego and yet they did.

Chris Mortensen seems as dialed into the situation as anyone in the media and he says the decision will be made within the next week, so I guess we don’t have to wait very long.

^^^So Manning goes to Philly? Trade Vick to MIA?

I don’t see the fatman in Philly giving up any control of the offense, so unlikely. I don’t think Peyton wants to play against Eli 2x per year either, which knocks Washington and Dallas out of the mix as well.

Looks like it’s coming down to Arizona and Denver… going to be an interesting weekend.

Denver’s not going to happen. No one to throw to and you have to deal with that weird Tebow thing.

He’ll be a Chief by Monday.

No one to throw to? I’d say Demariyus Thomas and Reggie Wayne wouldn’t be a half bad 1-2 combo. I agree though that he probably doesn’t want to deal with the whole Tebow thing. But he is flying out to meet with them, so he must be interested to some extent.

As I said originally, it’s going to be the Cardinals, and they are going to be a scary team with him if he brings in Reggie Wayne as well.

Rumor has it that if Manning signs with Denver, Tebow will be traded to Jacksonville for a 2nd round pick.

2 team can be removed from the list.

1. Jets have signed Sanchez

2. Redskins traded up in the draft and are now guaranteed to draft either Luck or RG III.

We can also remove Pats, Packers, Giants, Saints, Steelers, Lions, Colts and Rams off the list.

That still leaves 22 teams that should at least contemplate adding the most highly prized free agent in NFL history.

Three 1st picks and a 2nd? Snyder almost sends his grandma and her dog.

My Saints hypothesis does seem to become more of a long-shot every day, but until Manning signs elsewhere or Brees signs the franchise tender, I’m not crossing them off the list. Would agree with the rest of “no” list though and would add Seattle based on recent stories.

I would have added SD and Dallas to the “no” list, but these two franchises have stagnated. An upgrade to the QB position isn’t a crazy idea anymore.

Strange developments in the last few days.

Marshall traded to Bears

Wayne resigns with Colts

PTI announcing that the Titans are the frontrunners in the Manning sweepstakes

It’s Denver. Nice.