"please advice"

does anyone know why the hell microsoft outlook suggests to replace the word “advise” with “advice”? i’m so tired of seeing “please advice” from non-native (and just plain bad) english speakers who listen to all the microsoft corrections cuz they dont know any better. we need to send out a global memo saying - “it IS actually ‘please advise’, dont listen to microsoft, they’re retarded”

I think britishers say advice and americans are more into advise. God knows!

My understanding is that advice is a noun and advise is a verb. I don’t think advice as a verb is a UK/US english thing. I guess it could possibly follow the form of defense/defence or license/licence. Any native UK folks, Aussies, Canadians who can chime in on this, while sitting on their chesterfields?

People who sit on cigarettes rarely give good advise, Chad.

Advice = noun; Advise = verb Has nothing to do with British/US English.

“please, advice!” is what microsoft is suggesting, in order to carry the point across better

I am a kiwi…has nothing to do with UK/US thing. Aussies can’t spell so forget about asking them

That comment reminded me of one my favorite Flight of the Conchords episodes.

dpcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > we need to send out a global memo saying - “it IS > actually ‘please advise’, dont listen to > microsoft, they’re retarded” The rule is basically whatever MSFT does, do the reverce. Of cource sinse they are big investors in our fund, I never said that…but yeah.

Wouldn’t they be bing invectors in yore fund?

Maybe there is simply a missing comma in the sentence and it should be: please, advice. Sort of like when the butler comes to offer you tea: please sir, tea. So feel free to walk up to someone who looks like they need some advice and offer it by saying “please, advice”.

You guys are cracking me up.

Nothing to do with UK/US thing I always write advise but know what you mean - very annoying!

KarenC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Nothing to do with UK/US thing > > I always write advise but know what you mean - > very annoying! Extremely annoying. Speaking of which, you’ve been MIA for a while now. What’s the deal? Please advise.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Maybe there is simply a missing comma in the > sentence and it should be: please, advice. > > Sort of like when the butler comes to offer you > tea: please sir, tea. > > So feel free to walk up to someone who looks like > they need some advice and offer it by saying > “please, advice”. If you say ‘Sir’ to your butler, you’re endangering social structure. Please, Sir, knock it off.